• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2018 Ford F150 3.0 Liter Diesel

BIGR

Lucky To Be Here
Reaction score
This might be old news but I just read where the Ford F150 will have a 3 Liter Powerstroke late this fall in the 2018 Model. Chevy probably is not in no hurry to have one since the Colorado has a baby Duramax, what's your guys thoughts?

Yea, come across that while they were caught testing a diesel in the proving grounds.

It'll be a big hit I'm sure. If they can pass the 30 MPG mark in a full size, that's going to hurt the Colorado for sure as it's lucky to get that from what I read.

Yea, come across that while they were caught testing a diesel in the proving grounds.

It'll be a big hit I'm sure. If they can pass the 30 MPG mark in a full size, that's going to hurt the Colorado for sure as it's lucky to get that from what I read.

Until one those 1/2 tons or Colorado sized Diesel trucks can honestly hit better than 30 MPG on the highway, I do not have the first ounce of interest in same. Fuel mileage is the only reason I would consider one over getting a 1/2 ton gasser.

Last edited:
Needs to be a 3.1L engine like the 460 was not a 454 to make a marketing difference esp. with the made for Cadillac GM designed unreliable diesel the 3.0 is turning out to be. Cadillac isn't noted for long life engines and GM isn't noted for reliable diesel history in automobiles. Now RAM is having trouble with the bottom ends failing in a hot oily mess on the GM designed for Cadillac engine FCA took over. (OOPS! WTF did you expect FCA?)

Combine this with the reputation of the 6.0 diesel Ford was attempting to take the hand grenade trophy away from the Oldsmobile 5.7 diesel with.

Yeah, it needs a different FORD Powerstroke specific displacement because my first thought was Ford was also using this FCA 3.0L diesel hand grenade engine. Right or wrong the first impression already lost the "no thanks" battle to some as they may think engines are shared or confuse unreliable 3.0L engine makers. It's an uphill battle to explain RAM has the 3.0 that's blowing up and with our past 6.0 reputation the Powerstroke 3.0L is better...

Seriously I wouldn't be surprised if the cab has to be removed to do any work on the 3.0 Ford. :wtf:

Until one those 1/2 tons or Colorado sized Diesel trucks can honestly hit better than 30 MPG on the highway, I do not have the first ounce of interest in same. Fuel mileage is the only reason I would consider one over getting a 1/2 ton gasser.

My VW is getting bought back at the end of the month, and I've strongly considered a 2.8L Colorado for my replacement as GM has big bonus tags out right now for a new one. ($7100 off MSRP).

Most are reporting 25-30 MPG on average HWAY/CITY driving.

My VW is getting bought back at the end of the month, and I've strongly considered a 2.8L Colorado for my replacement as GM has big bonus tags out right now for a new one. ($7100 off MSRP).

Most are reporting 25-30 MPG on average HWAY/CITY driving.

Please buy one and let us know how it does. I know you will give us an honest report on the fuel mileage and how good of a truck it is....:)

No all jokes aside, I know a guy that swears he can get 26 to 28 MPG or better on the highway with a 4X4 (V-6) crew cab Colorado. He might be relying on the computer maybe and not hand calculation mileage.

My Dad just bought an extended cab GMC Canyon 4X4 (V6) back in January. I went with him and test drove it when he bought it. It felt like it had all kinds of power and drove good. He won't even get it out of the garage and drive it since its been bad weather and he has 2 or 3 other vehicles to drive. I am anxious to see what kind of mileage he can get with it.

A little side note here: that same day my dad bought the Canyon, I test drove a 2017 Honda Ridgeline 4X4 with my dad. Personally to tell you the truth the Ridgeline was a better riding vehicle and felt more peppy under throttle at low speeds. I would not hesitate to buy one myself for a daily driver, lite duty pick up.

I didn't want to go there.. but yea, that's something I would probably never own.. :D

I tried hard to justify a ridgeline. Honda can't be disputed anymore that everything they build works well, safe, and a long time. And more Hondas are built in America than most people are aware of. Almost all of them here now are.

It's just too much of a car. If they would ever build a real 1/2 ton they would steal a crap load of the big 3's truck sells. Hondas are never the first to introduce stuff. They let the other mfrs figure it out and work out the kinks. So by the time a design goes into a Honda it works. Ive owned honda's bu usually just dirtbikes and generators. My wife had a crx when we got married- great little gocart.

I tried hard to justify a ridgeline. Honda can't be disputed anymore that everything they build works well, safe, and a long time. And more Hondas are built in America than most people are aware of. Almost all of them here now are.

It's just too much of a car. If they would ever build a real 1/2 ton they would steal a crap load of the big 3's truck sells. Hondas are never the first to introduce stuff. They let the other mfrs figure it out and work out the kinks. So by the time a design goes into a Honda it works. Ive owned honda's bu usually just dirtbikes and generators. My wife had a crx when we got married- great little gocart.
My wife has a 09 cr-v, and even she has admitted getting rid of the 06 g6 we had for it was a mistake. She wanted a small suv, her mom had the cr-v but wanted somethi,g smaller, so her mom got one of the little hr-v's I think it is, and we bought the cr-v so momma would be happy. It took her a year to say it, but she regrets getting rid of the G6. Just from a driving standpoint, the Honda is LOUD inside. This really showed when they put her in a santa fe when her cr-v was in for the drivers side airbag recall. The mpg is ok, but not as good as the G6 was with a V6(I know, suv vs car, but the G6 actually weighed more). Just the way it drives just doesn't feel right to either of us. Then there's all the recall's it's had. Honda handled the drivers airbag well, but the rest of them have been less than stellar. It was in for the drivers side, had an open recall on the passenger side, but honda's corporate policy was to only do the drivers side, and not send out the notice for the passenger side until a month after the drivers was completed, then admit the passenger side was delayed because of a mandate by corporate. My nieces husband has a 10 cr-v, and has had 4 or 5 recalls now on his.

And the ridgeline is a friggen minivan with the van part cut open to look like a pickup. I was unimpressed to say the least once I seen one.

I know a lot of people buy those Hondas for mileage, but I don't think it's all that fantastic. They don't make a good looking vehicle, in my opinion, so that's out. Justifiable that someone drives a jap Honda because they get good mileage? Well, my '99 Grand Prix GTP gets 30 mpg and if I climb into the throttle, it doesn't give up. That was from technology we had 20 years ago, when those models were introduced. Let's see how far we've come, shall we?

I just looked up a new Honda accord and they claim 32 mpg. 32. I didn't type that wrong. 32
junk.PNG

Seriously? In 20 years, this is all the better the japs can do? They can kill it all day long, compared to the rest of the world, making radios, but I think that is where they should stop. They've reached their pinnacle in the world with audio technology, perhaps.

Got to say I have owned more than one Honda Accord over the years. I had an older model that would get an honest 35 MPG on the interstate. The last one we had, got worse mileage closer to the 32 MPG that you guys are talking about. I kind of thought to myself that they had somehow back tracked on their fuel mileage. The only trouble we ever had out of them was the last one we bought was a 2006 Accord and the transmission had a whine in the gearing that I noticed. It was only noticeable at certain speeds and under throttle. The Honda place mechanic heard the same thing on road test with me and they replaced it free of charge of course. Never had anymore trouble out of it other than some dip Sh&* left a Dodge truck out of gear at my wife's work and it rolled into the rear quarter panel of her car. :mad:

Back