• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2017 F250 w/ 6.7 Powerstroke

Big T

Reaction score
My son bought a 2017 F250 4dr 4wd with 6.7 Powerstroke. He finally gave me a ride in it. Holy cow is that thing fast. Also, very quiet. He’s embarrassing his old man who’s still schlepping with the ‘99 K2500 Suburban with 6.5. He said that he’s keeping his ‘94 K2500, though many are asking about buying it. Last night I kissed the fender on the F250 as we left his house last night. My wife said “just go and buy one.” I’m waiting and watching while my son is the guinea pig.

Keep it under warranty and when the extended warranty can't be renewed GET RID OF IT! I know neither of you have a vehicle lift suitable to remove the cab to do any Ford Diesel Engine work. Last few times I went to my local diesel shop they had the cabs off FORDS doing engine/injector work. They had to hire another guy while LAUGHING all the way to the bank when they got into Fords. PS Pump replacement or belt work requires the entire cooling stack to come off... Other makes including the Nissan 5.0L Cummins are far easier to work on yourself.

For Christmas get him a tow rope, flairs, and DOT triangles. The emissions system will shut the engine down sooner or later when he needs it the most.

One of the EPIC for sale FORD ads on Cl:
"I'll need cash in advance, and will bring it to your home on a flat-bed trailer. I will leave you the trailer rather than risk starting the truck to unload it. Sold as is."
https://allensparklodge.blogspot.com/2009/11/posted-ad-on-craigslist-today.html

Keep it under warranty and when the extended warranty can't be renewed GET RID OF IT! I know neither of you have a vehicle lift suitable to remove the cab to do any Ford Diesel Engine work. Last few times I went to my local diesel shop they had the cabs off FORDS doing engine/injector work. They had to hire another guy while LAUGHING all the way to the bank when they got into Fords. PS Pump replacement or belt work requires the entire cooling stack to come off... Other makes including the Nissan 5.0L Cummins are far easier to work on yourself.

For Christmas get him a tow rope, flairs, and DOT triangles. The emissions system will shut the engine down sooner or later when he needs it the most.

One of the EPIC for sale FORD ads on Cl:
"I'll need cash in advance, and will bring it to your home on a flat-bed trailer. I will leave you the trailer rather than risk starting the truck to unload it. Sold as is."
https://allensparklodge.blogspot.com/2009/11/posted-ad-on-craigslist-today.html

The CL ad was for a 2004 6.0. Understood those were a POS. This is a 2017 6.7. He said that he checked forums on the 6.7 and the feedback was pretty good. Just don’t chip or mod it.

The 6.0l is actually a decent engi,e once it's been upgraded(much like the 6.5l). The 6.4l that replaced it was the last straw for Ford, and why in 2011 they came out with there own engine, the 6.7l. The 1st 2 years had some bumps, but since 2013 the Ford 6.7l has proven to be a good engine. I would still have a GM myself, and espescially the L5P. In stock form it is only slightly stronger than the competition, but internally it's a beast. I doubt we'll see many internal issues with the L5P like broken cranks, it's really an engineering marvel.

@WarWagon is 100000000% correct on the cab coming off. And I mean it has to come off for what should be something simple. My boss had to have his cab took off of his 16 a couple months ago to work on his engine. It was under warranty thank goodness. I don’t know what they had to do to it. He told me on the way over to pick it up that before his truck goes out of warranty that he’s selling it because the labor rate involved in fixing it is not going to be worth the repairs. I would consider the labor rate when it goes out of warranty before I bought one if I was you.

Three things come to mind.
1. Good, we always hope for out kids to do better than us- he is pushing that envelope well.
2. If you think that is nice, go beat the hell out of a lp5 on a test drive. You will take it home.
3. @WarWagon please, tell us what you really think and don’t hold back this time. Haha. We can always count on you to swing the big hammer- how long were you in the USMC?

@WarWagon is 100000000% correct on the cab coming off. And I mean it has to come off for what should be something simple. My boss had to have his cab took off of his 16 a couple months ago to work on his engine. It was under warranty thank goodness. I don’t know what they had to do to it. He told me on the way over to pick it up that before his truck goes out of warranty that he’s selling it because the labor rate involved in fixing it is not going to be worth the repairs. I would consider the labor rate when it goes out of warranty before I bought one if I was you.
The thing is, the cab is designed to come off for engine work. It takes them less than an hour to pull the cab, then working on the engine is a walk in the park. It sucks, but it's the price you pay to have that kind of power, packed into that small of a space, and do it while meeting emissions. Many are pulling the cabs on the duramax as they have found they can do the job quicker pulling the cab. As people demand more, consider this par for the course.

We just purchased a 2017 F350 company truck with the 6.7L (Guy came from a VERY problematic 6.4L that we dumped 8K into before trading).

I have ridden in one, it is a monster of an engine. Almost rocketship like. However emissions and cost of repairs scares me. Curious to see how he makes out over the long run.

All the current generation diesels do seem nice. The only question that keeps coming to mind is what to do with the ~900 ft / lbs as I can only think of very few (practical) scenarios where that much torque is useful and actually getting to the ground without computer restriction. And scuttlebutt is that the current generation of pickups has over 1M lines of code, so no complexity there ;)

When time to replace the Burb, a ~400 ft / lb gasser with a ~6 speed slushbox is likely to replace it as this is all I need for my 7K# - 8K# towing needs. Would get a 6 speed manual tranny, but somehow the US consumer drank the coolaid on slushboxes being better. Oh well, different topic and not meant to de-rail . . .

Enjoy the new ride :)

The thing is, the cab is designed to come off for engine work. It takes them less than an hour to pull the cab, then working on the engine is a walk in the park. It sucks, but it's the price you pay to have that kind of power, packed into that small of a space, and do it while meeting emissions. Many are pulling the cabs on the duramax as they have found they can do the job quicker pulling the cab. As people demand more, consider this par for the course.

My point being an at home backyard mechanic like the OP is they are NOT going to be working on this truck period. I know very few people who have a lift at home and fewer that can handle removing the cab. Everything is designed for the assembly line first.

Par for the course? No, it's Ford. Others that have found quicker ways to do a job on the Duramax doesn't make them the un-repairable at home Ford standard: Because it's not required. Yeah "the hard way" is cheaper if I can do it myself.

Designed for the dealer or shop equipped with a lift (that ties up the lift till parts arrive) has a very negative value to me no matter the make. Many 6.5's (and other vehicles) would have been crushed long ago if they required you to pay shop labor to keep them on the road.

Back