• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2006-2010 air filter questions

Will L.

Reaction score
Does anyone have minute they could get the measurements off theirs for me (regardless of brand)?
I need inside and outside diameter and length. Any pics of where it fit on the inside lip could help too.

And no self respecting thread would leave open the question:
the blue donaldson P612514- did they ever bring that back or an equivalent?
Was that one tested in the shootout vs the ac one?

Thanks

Speaking of a CRAP filter design that depends solely on lots and lots of glue to work and stay together.

2008 Factory OEM Duramax collapsed air filter. Made 57K miles not even 1 year (That was 88K miles in one year)... I noted in later year owners manuals life is limited to 50K miles. Never pulled down the restriction gauge.

Filters made after that have a revision of an "X" to stop further media collapse into the intake.

100_2276.JPG

100_2278.JPG

100_2279.JPG

Not sure if this helps or not.

Attachments

• 20210410_154445.jpg
    20210410_154445.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20210410_154512.jpg
    20210410_154512.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210410_154523.jpg
    20210410_154523.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210410_154532.jpg
    20210410_154532.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210410_154538.jpg
    20210410_154538.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 2
Exactly what I was after - thanks!
I am planning on outing my k&n filter(s) for these in my hummer. The exact one you have flows more air than the huge hummer filter.
Many, like WarWagon above mention the filter minder “never working”. But all the reading I have done, people condemn the filter kinder without actually testing it. That blue donaldson flows more air when 75% full than most filters do when new, and still catch ridiculous amounts of everything. 99.97%. 99.95% for the white ones that last half as long and don’t flow as well.

For many years they weren’t available and on most people they are good for 100,000 miles. Under heavy use in rough environment they are good for 50,000 miles. Many suspect thats why they quit making them so much. But they fit inside the hummer can, I just don’t know what else I need to do to secure it. Going outside to the shop for some measurements asap!

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Yuppers.
My measurements has to wait till tomorrow. Buying them from big truck parts houses is usually cheaper. Cat, freightliner, etc sells Donaldson here. So gonna call them Monday and cross my fingers.

The filters being built like this has a much longer shelf life also. Quality if their blue series is sweet.
So long as I figure a good & sealing means in my housing, gonna sell off my 2 k&n and a ton of cleaner/oil.

Kinda sad because so many hated on the k&n but oiling a little heavier than recommended brought filter level way together than most any other filter. Having 2 so on service time I could just swap one in and do the other later when time permits helps. It was nice to show folks no issues on cylinder walls after 70,000 miles of use in the dustiest environment in the US. But when I get the bigger turbo in there and I am driving near 3,000 rpm all the time, that filter cost and headache for the donaldson will help. If I just did the gm6/7 or hx35 I would stick with my bigger k&n.

Not sure if this helps or not.

That "X" in the center on your photos is the fix they had on the 2009+ replacement filters. If it's touching the media I suggest it's a "support" for the media.

@Will L. the filter minder never moved because the air filter failed. It left just enough restriction to not trip a Service Engine Soon and power derate. I drove to a parts store with a better filter, none, so that one wouldn't collapse/fail/come apart further and get sucked into the turbo.

I have been running the WIX version with white filter media. Haven't had any issues at all. I buy 3 at a time along with other filters from Rock Auto.

Back