• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2005 4l80e in my 1990 K2500

Road_Case

Reaction score
Hey guys.

I posted in my build thread about the 4l80e I bought today. Apparently a 2005 model from a 2500hd. Excited to tear it down and get the rebuild going.

If I install it in my 1990 K2500, which currently has its stock TH400, will I have any issues getting a standalone controller like the USshift Quick4 to control the trans?

I imagine I'll have to splice into the TPS signal, for starters..

Thanks for any input. 👍👍

- Mike

ADcjx8A.jpg

I just did a similiar swap for somebody(88 square body with a 5.7L TBI engine with a th400). My reccomendation is to scour the junkyards first and see if you can find a 7427 ECM from a 94 or 95 2500/3500 truck that had a 5.7L and 4l80E. The 7747 to 7427 wiring change is not hard to do at all, and you end up with a factory setup with better fuel control that's all integrated. Does your current transfer case use a speed sensor mounted in the transfer case with a 40 tooth reluctor? If it doesn't you have your 1st hurdle to overcome because the 4l80E will need that signal regardless of which controller you go with with one exception. While you have the trans apart, you can buy from SONNAX a 40 tooth reluctor wheel to install in your 05 trans, and then the trans can be truly stand-alone. The best thing is to start planning because swaps, even easier ones like this can get tricky REAL quick if you don't plan out ALL the details in advance. Little things like your gauge cluster can be a real PITA to deal with as your MOONIE cluster is not compatible with a 7427 ECM and will require adding in a VSSB and swapping over to a late 91-94 cluster. Or if you go stand-alone you will need that output reluctor added into the trans because I don't think you can splice into the vehicle speed sensor wires with a moonie cluster.

Thank you Ferm. Back at it again with the priceless knowledge.

All I can find locally (within 50 miles) is a 1995 C2500.

Do you think the ecm out of a 2wd truck would work for me, if it was also a 5.7tbi/4l80e? My truck is a 4wd and if I'm not mistaken, the VSS is in the NP241c transfer case.

gFGH1dB.jpg

Thank you Ferm. Back at it again with the priceless knowledge.

All I can find locally (within 50 miles) is a 1995 C2500.

Do you think the ecm out of a 2wd truck would work for me, if it was also a 5.7tbi/4l80e? My truck is a 4wd and if I'm not mistaken, the VSS is in the NP241c transfer case.

gFGH1dB.jpg
I'm not certain. I know you could add in the output reluctor and wire everything up as a 2 wheel drive, then leave the speed sensor in your transfer case to your current speedo. I believe you have to change the shift rail inside your transfer case if you wanted to run the 3 wire transfer case with the 4 low output to the ECM. This is where planning out and researching your swap comes into play.

I do not know if the T_Case from the 400 will fit behind the 4L80 trans ? If not, it appears that the transfer case in the back of Your truck already has a VSS screwed into it. If that is the 4L80E.
But then, I might be all mixed up and just rambling toooooh. LOL

I do not know if the T_Case from the 400 will fit behind the 4L80 trans ? If not, it appears that the transfer case in the back of Your truck already has a VSS screwed into it. If that is the 4L80E.
But then, I might be all mixed up and just rambling toooooh. LOL
The th-400 switched to a 32 spline output with a standard round 6 bolt GM pattern in the mid 80's. The problem has to deal with the 4x4 switch with 3 wires not working until you got to a 93 model.

I was just thinking about this post as I was doing my radiator and had to put adapters in to hook the lines up. Your 90 uses 5/16" lines which were standard up to 96, starting in 97 they went to 3/8" because the center lube 4l80e needs alot more cooler flow. Your 05 trans uses 1/2" iirc as GM found the 3/8" to be marginal. Another issue you're going to run into is torque converter. The 5 7l TBI was the only engine to use a dual stator torque converter(GM82), all others used a single stator. It was also a unique stall speed of 1800 vs 1600 for big block/diesel, and 2200 for the 6.0l. I learned the hard way not to save a few bucks by putting a single stator converter behind a 5.7l tbi as it will be a DOG!(had to change the converter in the one I just did because of it) I do not know if the early style converter will work in your 05 as GM changed converter hub height in 97(some say yes, others say no).

I strongly advise you to replace your radiator for one that uses the 9/16x18(3/8") inverted flares and 3/8" hard lines. Also make certain to use the correct fittings. 97+ 4l80e uses a special fitting for the return. You can only get them in GM's quick connect setup or 37 degree AN flare to my knowledge. Put the wrong fitting in it and it WILL die a horrible death from no oil going through the rear half of the trans. These were the reasons I held out for a 94-96 trans for the 88 I did.

If you had posted a want ad I have a 95 with 241 transfer case that will be for sale in a few months.

Back