• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2003 Rattling and Smoking

Liftemhigh

Reaction score
A friend of mine has a 2003 2500 ext cab 4x4 with over 350 000kms on it and about a mount ago when he was on trip towing his trailer and it started to make alot of noise like really loud rattle (louder than a ford) then a bang followed by alot of thick black smoke then white (like oil burning)he shut it down and left it for a bit on the side of the road. he tried to restart it but it still was rattling and smoking a lot of blueish,and black. but it ran he shut it down and towed it back home. he didn't start it for about a month. he just started it today and there's no more rattle but the smoke is still blueish, oil pressure is up and it has a bad miss.but it runs. he drove it about 300 feet and shut it down, he just had gm replace the injectors about 10 000kms ago. now he's peeved at it and i was thinking of get it for a parts truck for my 04 or as a fixer upper. the body is ruff rockers,doors and dings all over it. now my question is what do ya'll think the problem could be and is it worth fixing,and how much is it worth, i tiring to get him to bring it to me so i can tear it down a bit to see if it blu a head gasket.i'am really thinking of buying it from him but not sure what to give him for it?

thank for the help

A friend of mine has a 2003 2500 ext cab 4x4 with over 350 000kms on it and about a mount ago when he was on trip towing his trailer and it started to make alot of noise like really loud rattle (louder than a ford) then a bang followed by alot of thick black smoke then white (like oil burning)he shut it down and left it for a bit on the side of the road. he tried to restart it but it still was rattling and smoking a lot of blueish,and black. but it ran he shut it down and towed it back home. he didn't start it for about a month. he just started it today and there's no more rattle but the smoke is still blueish, oil pressure is up and it has a bad miss.but it runs. he drove it about 300 feet and shut it down, he just had gm replace the injectors about 10 000kms ago. now he's peeved at it and i was thinking of get it for a parts truck for my 04 or as a fixer upper. the body is ruff rockers,doors and dings all over it. now my question is what do ya'll think the problem could be and is it worth fixing,and how much is it worth, i tiring to get him to bring it to me so i can tear it down a bit to see if it blu a head gasket.i'am really thinking of buying it from him but not sure what to give him for it?

thank for the help

I would pull the glow plugs out and turn it over and see if fuel starts spraying out one of the cylinders. Sounds like an injector stuck open to me.

would be lucky if it didn't burn a piston or valve...most of the time stuck injectors lead to some sort failure...

check the oil for a fuel smell...

when mine burnt a valve the exhaust was loaded with raw fuel...

well i got my diablo predator in hooked it up and this is the balance rates i got
cyl# value min max units
1 -6.992 -6.992 -6.992 mm3/s
2 -6.992 -6.992 -6.992
3 -6.992 -6.992 -6.992
4 -6.024 -6.586 -6.024
5 -6.164 -6.680 -6.992
6 -6.992 -6.992 -6.992
7 15.01 15.01 15.01
8 1.117 0.8672 1.117
desired rail presure 4300.8 psi
injection timing 5.002 degrees

so i'am thinking 7 and 8 are the stuck ones ,next step is compression test to see if thats ok
thanks again for the input ,means alot to me keep it up ,and as i learn i hope to help someone also and the circle goes round and round

thanks again for the input ,means alot to me keep it up ,and as i learn i hope to help someone also and the circle goes round and round

That's the great thing about The Truck Stop. We are a brotherhood that jumps in to help each other whenever needed.

Keep us informed of your progress. Maybe in a new LB7 thread.

well i got my diablo predator in hooked it up and this is the balance rates i got
cyl# value min max units
2 -6.992 -6.992 -6.992
3 -6.992 -6.992 -6.992
4 -6.024 -6.586 -6.024
5 -6.164 -6.680 -6.992
6 -6.992 -6.992 -6.992
7 15.01 15.01 15.01
8 1.117 0.8672 1.117

so i'am thinking 7 and 8 are the stuck ones ,next step is compression test to see if thats ok

Were those balance rates taken in gear or in park and was the truck at operating temperature?

well nothing ever goes easy for me. i took out the plastic wheel well all went ok .then i went to take out the #8 glow plug that wasn't hooked up any ways and low an be hold the top nut is broken off with about 3\16 of the shaft still sticking out. so now i have to figure out how to get this thing out without having to remove the head. but at lest i know witch injectors are bad.do ya'll know of a good spot to buy injectors at a good price ,cheapest place here is napa and there 380$ each ouch

thanks again for all the help

in park and no not warmed up cause its smoking a lot and injectors are making lots of noise.should i take a chance and warm it up then test

That is the only way you will get a true reading. Cold reading tend to be very different. The reading in park hot is +/-4. With that being said it looks like you only have one good injector.

Take a look at the thread for some more information.

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?28979-Gmpartsdirect-injector-warranty

cyl# value min max units
2 -6.992 -6.992 -6.992
3 -6.992 -6.992 -6.992
4 -6.024 -6.586 -6.024
5 -6.164 -6.680 -6.992
6 -6.992 -6.992 -6.992
7 15.01 15.01 15.01
8 1.117 0.8672 1.117

Those balance rates don't look even remotely correct to me for what yopu should be seeing. I don't believe that the preadtor will give you accuraste balance rates either, EFILIVE or a TCH2 is needed to see actual numbers. Also be aware that only the tech2 has been verified to tell you the correct cylinder as some readouts go by firing order instead of cylinder #.

what do good balance rates look like . and now i'am playing with trying to get #7 (thought is #8 but was told cyl order is like this
Pass - Driver
Firewall
7 --- 8
5 --- 6
3 --- 4
1 --- 2
Radiator
is this rite and do you have any good ideas on getting the glow plug out

Those balance rates don't look even remotely correct to me for what yopu should be seeing. I don't believe that the preadtor will give you accuraste balance rates either, EFILIVE or a TCH2 is needed to see actual numbers. Also be aware that only the tech2 has been verified to tell you the correct cylinder as some readouts go by firing order instead of cylinder #.

what do good balance rates look like . and now i'am playing with trying to get #7 (thought is #8 but was told cyl order is like this
Pass - Driver
Firewall
7 --- 8
5 --- 6
3 --- 4
1 --- 2
Radiator
is this rite and do you have any good ideas on getting the glow plug out

Balance rates with engine warm +/-4 in park, +/-6 drive, at idle.

Back