• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2002 GMC 2500 HD cluster pin diagram

razur65

Reaction score
Evening all, hope everyone is doing well.
My 02 HD dash cluster quit working, gauges stopped working, no signal lights, back lights, DIC, CEL, nothing.
google search tells me common problem and lots of places fix them.
Sent it to an fleabay source, got one out of a pick n pull for temporary. Worked for a day then that quit too.
Got mine back, plugged in, makes some relays click in the dash, ABS light and CEL come on, that's it.
Truck had a remote start, cobb-wired in like all fly by night accessory places do, was thinking may have lost a ground wire.
Can't find a good source for pin out of the cluster connector, found one that indicates the number 5 pin circled in the pic is the ground.
I get some bad readings with my Power Probe tester, indicating it's a poor connection.
Does anyone here have a pin out diagram or can give me a solid resource to find the diagram?
Thanks in advance.2002 2500 HD dash.jpg

Update: I found it thanks to the guy that re-did the cluster, I had the wrong pin, ground is actually the black / white tracer, further up in the connector, had lost its ground, re-grounded that wire and it all works now.

Update: well the cluster worked fine for about a week or more, then truck quit while my wife was driving it, lucky she was only mile and a half away from home. She said low fuel light was on and stalled out, truck had close to 3/4 tank so fuel wasn't the issue. I managed to run it enough to get home, quit before the driveway, rolled into the yard and done...
I got a new ECM because I couldn't read the existing one with my code reader, wouldn't connect to ECM but worked on my other vehicles, and installed it, did the key relearn exactly as instructions said, worked to the letter, then truck restarted, all gauges worked, everything looked great for about two minutes... then it quit. Tried to restart and have the same issue as before, half the cluster is working, low fuel light on in driver information center, the LED display on the left in the '02s, cranks but no fire.
I emailed the company I got the ECM from to see if they can test it, waiting to hear back. I have disconnected all the extra electrical non-factory crap from the battery, although remote start is still powered from under the dash. Wasn't working so didn't think about disconnecting that.
Has anyone else had bad luck like this or is it just me? Haha, that's rhetorical question as they say.
If anyone has any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I have heard of people having problems with those aftermarket remote start units. I would not even have a clue as to where to start
Maybe someone in here knows about them things.

I had never had the security light on the 2000 K3500 come on. A couple of weeks ago, driving along, i noticed it was illuminated. I got to the shop to let off the moat enjun block and I did not shut off the truck. Let it run, got back home, turned off the ignition, waited for a minit, turned the key to run, waited for the WTS lamp to go out, fired it up and that darn security lamp went back off.
Man was I ever happy. I dont have a clue as to what would be required if that darn thing give me the phits. 😳😹😹😹

I had never had the security light on the 2000 K3500 come on. A couple of weeks ago, driving along, i noticed it was illuminated. I got to the shop to let off the moat enjun block and I did not shut off the truck. Let it run, got back home, turned off the ignition, waited for a minit, turned the key to run, waited for the WTS lamp to go out, fired it up and that darn security lamp went back off.
Man was I ever happy. I dont have a clue as to what would be required if that darn thing give me the phits. 😳😹😹😹
Either a tune to disable vats, or one of these. As these trucks are getting older, were starting to see the vats/evo modules fail leaving you dead in the water.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Either a tune to disable vats, or one of these. As these trucks are getting older, were starting to see the vats/evo modules fail leaving you dead in the water.

Dangit, guess cooling system first then, turbo and tune.
I love spending money on this truck, it keeps getting better with each passing dollar. 👍👍👍😹

Worst part is getting to the module
I would not even begin to know where to look. The PO did install an aftermarket radio but I dont know if that has anything to do with the security system.
This was the first time since I have owned the truck that the security light has failed to go out after start up.

Was reading the question and answer portion of the bypass system.
My truck does not have a chip in the ignition key. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹

Was reading the question and answer portion of the bypass system.
My truck does not have a chip in the ignition key. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹
GM used passlock starting in 96 because the earlier passkey system was so problematic. Both systems outputted the same 50hz at 50% duty cycle signal from the vats system. That module works on most anything built from the 90's up to the mid 00's. The early early systems outputted a 30hz signal, and around 06 GM started going to gmlan with transponder key's, and digital handshake's for the security signal.

Back