• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2001 operating system upgrade to 2002?

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
Go easy on me, but I have read in a few posts now about upgrading the operating system on my 01 to an 02 to aid in tuning down the road. What all is involved in this? I'm going to take the truck in and have it flashed by GM for the overdrive lockout feature in the TCM, and figure I'll have the ECM done as well. Will a factory flash achieve this upgrade or do I need to get an 02 PCM to do this? I've tried searching and have drawn a blank on this one.

you'll need efi live to do it ...GM won't do this for you...remember once you go to an 02' OS you can never go back to an 01' with that ECM...It's always good to have a spare ECM anyway...

What advantages are there to going to it? Would I be better off getting an 02 ECM and just using that one? This will be used in an older vehicle that is being retrofitted with a DMAX/ALLISON combo. I was going to get the updates in my current ECM anyways as I currently have a pretty noticeable idle lope and surge to it when I got it up to temp today.

- 02' is a lot smoother OS...something to do with more frequent sampling(the technical term escapes me)

- 01' and 02' ecm's are the same physically...it's just the programming...

I would say run purchase EFI live and load the 02' OS to a 2nd ECM (custom written by usually who you buy it from) and keep your original 01' as a spare...

regardless an 02' ecm would have to be written with your 01' vin and information but with 02' OS to smooth it out...someone that knows how has to do it...

As far as GM goes they can smooth out the lope but it will not be an 02' OS that they do it with...

If you]re into the do it yourself thing then I would say get it from Guy Tripp at Socal...

But if you want someone to make it work and run great with a couple of solid tunes then I would Go the Ridgerunner Diesel TowTune or Moonshine route...

I bought EFI thinking that doing it myself was going to be the way to go...now after running Tony's custom work...I would have done it differently...There is no comparison it really is that smooth...

Yeah, Tony here is the still master for sure. One of these days when I go to EFI, he will be doing my tuning. You cant go wrong with him.

Either way I go, I have to go with a custom tune. This engine will not be run with a BCM or the original truck, so the VATS will have to be disabled in it. I know EFILIVE and PPE XCELLERATOR can both do this. I'm not after a big tune or anything either. I just want an extreme economy tune, and a good solid tow tune, and maybe a moderate power tune. Just waying out my options before I begin the transplant to the SUB.

Ferm, I'll find out if that intercooler is still available. I left a message so hopefully he'll call me back tomorrow. He's local though so I could just stop by his house. Its in mint condition.

I'm not in a big hurry, but will hopefully need it in a few weeks. I want to get all of the bugs worked out of it before I do the swap so that anything that I may encounter afterwards will be related to the swap and not a problem that was already there.

I would say run purchase EFI live and load the 02' OS to a 2nd ECM (custom written by usually who you buy it from) and keep your original 01' as a spare...

But if you want someone to make it work and run great with a couple of solid tunes then I would Go the Ridgerunner Diesel TowTune or Moonshine route...

Exactly what I did. I purchased a spare ecm tuned by Tony and kept my original ecm. The only thing I lost in upgrading to the 02 OS was the 750 rpm high idle setting. Other than that, no obvious difference except for the short life span my tires seem to have now :D

Back