• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2001 GM 8.1 typical life expectancy?

I actually got to drive the truck today. Engine started right up just bumping the key. That first gear in the 5spd is a stump puller! RPO code MW3, 5.61 first gear. GK9 rear axle, 4.63 ratio. Ran out nice. Engine is nice and dry above and below, with some dampness at back of oil pan. Spoke with the mechanics at the shop and most are going to miss the truck. New owner wanted a new truck for advertising show.

I'd buy the truck. 8.1 and nv4500 would be a nice combo.

I should have taken a picture of the one I looked at. I looked under and saw the spin on filter and Allison stamped on the pan. Only problem was the truck was junk.

Got some pics to show. The drivers side of the seat is shot, as usual. The power steering pump is whining. The tires need replaced. The bed is bolted, which is a plus. The hitch is welded to the bottom of the frame and will be ground off. I like that the frame doesn't appear to have been cut off. Show 233K miles.

2001 C3500HD 004_sml.jpg 2001 C3500HD 005_sml.jpg 2001 C3500HD 006_sml.jpg 2001 C3500HD 007_sml.jpg 2001 C3500HD 008_sml.jpg 2001 C3500HD 009_sml.jpg 2001 C3500HD 010_sml.jpg 2001 C3500HD 011_sml.jpg 2001 C3500HD 012_sml.jpg 2001 C3500HD 013_sml.jpg

Not a bad looking truck. Just needs a lil love.

Wondering a out the trailer jacks on the rear of the bed. What the heck are they doing to need that much support?

It was a service truck for a propane delivery truck servicing/certifying outfit. It had an AutoCrane on right rear corner that was removed and installed on their new truck. I was lucky they didn't remove the outriggers.

I like the out riggers. You are welcome to get a nicer bed but you need to put those out riggers back on! Haha

Looks like the hitch had an after though of support hence why it was welded. At least that isn't a structural place could cause a serious frame issue later.

Looks like a solid old truck.

Replace the power steering pump after flushing the system with a virgin new pump, yeah $$$, or one out of a junkyard. The rebuilt after failure pumps have a horrible reputation, are a PIA to swap out, and total failure dusts the entire system with metal debris requiring steering box and hydro-booster replacement. It's not fun to flush the cooler and replace evrything else including the hoses. Been there, done that, more than once to prove it wasn't a one off failure.

At least the junkyard pumps haven't "failed" the first time before being shoddily repaired.

A power steering filter on the steering box return line helps. Like a MagnaXFilter http://www.aaesteering.com/magnaxfi...ine-magnetic-power-steering-fluid-filter.html

Thanks for the advice WW. I received a new AC Delco PS pump from RockAuto.com yesterday! I've not had good experiences from any rebuilt PS pumps over the years either, so I avoid them myself. I will look up the filter and get one ordered before I start.

Back