• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1999 C3500 CCDRW 6.5 no start

LtEng5

Reaction score
So.. the truck has been sitting for a couple of months... the fuel tank was taken down for cleaning and frame work. Tank replaced and new rubber lines installed with new LP. New filters all around. All fuses inside and under hood look good. Batteries are just over a year old; had the charger hook up and running on the 2A setting just to keep them topped up while we were investigating between starts. With the key on; I get plenty of fuel up at the filter on the engine. Go to crank over and it takes about to a count of 8, fires the dies right away. when I hold the key in start it will continue the count of 8, fire and die; count to 8 fire and die.

My buddy ( the owner ) is thinking IP...... I'm not so sure.... I'm thinking something electrical....

Were there any problems before the work began? Was the lp changed just as preventive maintenance?
Check for fuel out the brass drain valve while this happens. Do you have a clear 1/4" line on the ip return? Any air when this is happening? What is your fuel pressure at the ip inlet when this happens?

Did you crack the injectors and check for fuel?

Did you disconnect the injection pump return line and run the extra fuel to a container?

Hot wire the lift pump for testing. You can leave it hooked up long term. There is a connector between the under hood fuse box and the firewall. Sometimes it can be hard to see.

Run about 3/4 gallon of fuel out of the T drain into a container. I use a gallon pickle jar. Note the flow. Let the jar sit about 20 minutes and look for crud and water bubbles on the bottom.

Did you get an AC Delco lift pump for a 1993?

Check your fuel lines from the tank to the LP, and the LP to IP. I had a truck you could prime and would run until the fuel was used up in the filter housing. Took the fuel lines off and took a 5 gal. bucket with water, plugged one end with my finger and blew air into the other end while the hose and crimps were submerged. Found the crimps on the new lines were leaking and allowing the LP to pull air into the fuel lines.

Check your fuel lines from the tank to the LP, and the LP to IP. I had a truck you could prime and would run until the fuel was used up in the filter housing. Took the fuel lines off and took a 5 gal. bucket with water, plugged one end with my finger and blew air into the other end while the hose and crimps were submerged. Found the crimps on the new lines were leaking and allowing the LP to pull air into the fuel lines.

X2

sorry for the delayed response

got into the truck deeper and found a cracked hard line at the IP. fixed that. still not start. got one of my buddies Snap-on scan tool plugged in and found that the truck has PassLock in it. WTF.:mad5: no chip in or on the key anywhere. have started the truck may times with a cheapo copied key with no problems.....looks like an older all metal flat style key..no plastic on it. poured thru some hidden codes that weren't causing CEL... just to be sure now sensors were bad. Cleared those out and un-locked PassLock... truck fired right off like nothing was ever wrong. Sum-beach; fricken mother..................

any way... all is good and runs fine now..... now for the fun part of gettin the go fast parts put in.........:biggrin::Justwait2:

Back