• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1999 6.5TD Suburban 4x4 light flashing?

steelydan

Reaction score
Got snow here again...pushed button in for 4x4 and the indicator light flashes.
It does not seem to be engaged.

Gonna assume you are trying 4L, you have to be stopped and trans in N for 4L to engage otherwise it stay's blinking before you can engage it, 4H should go anytime, recommended you be going slow when you try it so engagement is less harsh

Tim is right on. Best to re-read the owners manual, especially when you want to use it. Good news is that the 99 has the electrical actuator, not the thermal one (I think), so engagement is immediate, and secure.

I did have an episode on my '99 burb where it just blinked at me. That was because the switch (a $60 item) was dead. A 15 minute repair (although I am stunned that an infrequently used electrical item like that would just die... I think that the quality of the GM electrical components tends to be LACKING compared to other manufacturers!)

-Rob :)

Gonna assume you are trying 4L, you have to be stopped and trans in N for 4L to engage otherwise it stay's blinking before you can engage it, 4H should go anytime, recommended you be going slow when you try it so engagement is less harsh

Trying to engage 4 hi, just used it 2 weeks ago as we have had lots of snow. 4 hi light flashes...does not engage.

4L and 4H same deal. I am going out to my garage to look for a loose connection.
From memory: Switch goes to actuator on transfer case and then to actuator on front diff. Power comes back to switch to light the indicator.

2 fuses are good. 4WD and Transfer case fuse.

Ok 4L engages as the truck goes into Low range...drove around the block. 4L light still flashes. Transfer case seems to be engaged, because I could turn front driveshaft before trying to engage in 4h, but cannot turn it after 4h button pushed. 4WD not working.

Took out actuator from front diff. Plugged wire harness back in and left it hang by the wire. Then tried to engage 4h to see if dinky comes out. 4h light stayed on and did not flash but the dinky did not move. Re-installed actuator and light is flashing again.

I had a similar problem on my '95. I believe for bench testing the actuator the brown wire is constant +12v and the black is ground...to cycle the actuator I think you put +12v to the blue wire? Anyone got a wiring diagram?

No more blinking lights

Problem was the front diff. actuator. Apparently there is a contact closure inside that tells the autotrac that the front diff is engaged. The light stays on steady when contact is made. 98-99 are different from 95-97 even if they have the newer style actuator. Wire colors are different from my '95. I opened up the actuator and it was full of water.

These actuators are a joke...I have seen heavier circuit boards and controls while changing the batteries on my second girl-friends vibrator.

I think when/if mine dies I'll be adding the manual cable shift kit, I envision the 4x4 actuator dying on me stuck in a mud hole when I really need it.

I wholeheartedly agree! Everything I've seen about the system is a little flakey. I actually like the Tahoe that has the floor shifter for the transfer case, and I'm assuming if I put in the manual actuator for the front differential it will be totally mechanical and less prone to failure under adverse conditions.

That floor lever for the transfer case IS all-mechanical, yes? There isn't any electrical weirdness THERE, is there?

I wholeheartedly agree! Everything I've seen about the system is a little flakey. I actually like the Tahoe that has the floor shifter for the transfer case, and I'm assuming if I put in the manual actuator for the front differential it will be totally mechanical and less prone to failure under adverse conditions.

That floor lever for the transfer case IS all-mechanical, yes? There isn't any electrical weirdness THERE, is there?

Yes you can do that with the manual transfer case shifter. My Brother built a cable engaged unit for his 95 6.5 dually when his actuator went south. It is Redneck but it works. He spent about $10.00 on it.

Back