• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1998 GMC 3500 6.5 diesel no start no codes

arupert

Reaction score
Greetings, 1998 GMC 3500 DRW 6.5 diesel no start no codes / 3 IP's one factory new / 4 PMD's using remote and OEM wiring / New lift pump / new filter / good fuel flow through to injectors / cranking with charger assist / new batteries and cables / with new CPS plugged or unplugged / OPS new / tried new throtle also / moved the ip's to many different timing positions always get lots of black smoke no start no codes with all the IP showing a 2.02 injection timing and 13 degrees no matter where the pump is placed / new timing chain /new heath maxtorq ecm / just straight piped it /New vac pump and when it last ran good turbo whistle / it all started with terrible stumble loss of power no start hot / cool off led to rough start with lots of black smoke culminating in no start / glows working fine / all parts since make no change - no start / heavy black smoke till the starter loads up slowing down / 207k on truck. good oil preasure / all work all hired done starting with a simple alignment job with all this happening to our family mechanic...now at a local GMC dealer with a d-max mechanic using T2 with no change to timing learn / 275 PSI compression on a cold dry engine / This mechanic now going to recheck the timing chain...at wits end hope to get some ideas to pass on to the mechanic, if you know a good mechanic on the MS gulf coast please let me know TIA /

Compression check should be ~375 min, all cylinders - method is remove all gp's or injectors, crank for ten puffs to get max pressure\cyl, stop, watch bleed-down rate on each cyl: all should be within +\- 25psi with similar bleed-down

Electronic timing can be adjusted only with engine running - mechanical timing should start with IP solenoid in straight-up vertical position - correct timing procedure is to time cam to crank by aligning marks on sprockets - rotate crank 360* so cam rotates 180* - time IP to cam by aligning marks on gears - then lock IP down in straight up vertical position

Load of bad fuel, water in fuel can cause same symptoms - exhaust system full of water can cause same symptoms

Primarily, make sure it's all correctly timed with correct cranking compression pressures, and cranking rpm is within spec

Last edited:
Is the rotation 180* before lining up the injection gear obvious for gear mark alingment? The poor engine just is not able to fire it just loads up with black smoke. Thanks for the tips I will pass them to the mechanic.

Yes - if water pump is off, the timing gear marks can be seen when IP gear is correctly timed to cam gear: IP gear mark will be at 6, cam gear mark will be at 12, should be directly adjacent the IP gear mark - crank was rotated 360* so HB timing mark should be back at 0* TDC mark on timing tab

Last edited:
Turbine Doc is from Gautier area IIRC....

Funny story here Chris, we are neighbors 2 streets over, our sons go to school together, he forgot I was a 6.5 afficinado, he found me at GM-Diesel.com site Gautier ain't that big a town, I almost bought his Diesel Mercedes sedan before Katrina turned it into submarine and floated it down street into bayou.

Yo Adam glad to see you found the correct site, I'm in Waycross now, depending on workload I either be home this weekend or 1st part of next week. Give me a shout on the cell, did you get with Mitchell ???

Don't forget I've got the GM manuals at the house, feel free to go borrow them, will tell you exactly how to time it, what GM shop if you have it on hiway 90 in Pascagoula, get it out of there they don't have a clue when it comes to the 6.5

I still think you have timing too far mechanically advanced

Last edited:
Note: I've corrected my posts^, so read thru them again for accurized version of what I intended to post.........................

The dealer has given up on it! It is being towed back to our family mechanic. I gave them all of this and they (dealer) verified it all including the timer stepper motor works on a factory new not rebuilt IP.

Need a mechanic bad...Tim your lead is now a truck driver. Anyone have a lead for one near the gulf coast? What an ordeal!

Last edited:
Back