• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1998 dually flatbed to regular bed

Landon730

Reaction score
Ok I got a good one for yall. I have a 1998 Chevy 3500 dually factory flatbed. I don't know if yall have measured a standard and FFB but they are quite a bit different..... Well I'm converting mine to standard bed and the frame rails are 7.5 inches skinnier (if my memory serves me right) and the axle is skinnier. Instead of the outside tire lining up with the steer tire, this inside one does. So what I need help with is a good strong way to space the wheels out. Im going to fabricate brackets that extend out for the bed.

The inside back tire always line up with the front tires as far as I have ever seen. Even on big rigs.

The inside back tire always line up with the front tires as far as I have ever seen. Even on big rigs.
We got down and measured it (we have mine and another stock standard bed from factory truck) and the axle is skinnier. Tomorrow I could get some pictures and exact measurements for you.

What you have is not a 3500 flatbed, you have a 3500 cab and chassis. Cab and chassis models used the srw rear axle, but modified it to work as a dually. The frame rails were also narrower as you have found. I know people have put beds on cab and chassis models, but I believe they replaced the bed mounts with custom wider ones to match up to the standard framerails bed mounts.

What you have is not a 3500 flatbed, you have a 3500 cab and chassis. Cab and chassis models used the srw rear axle, but modified it to work as a dually. The frame rails were also narrower as you have found. I know people have put beds on cab and chassis models, but I believe they replaced the bed mounts with custom wider ones to match up to the standard framerails bed mounts.
Thats what I thought about the rear end. So do I need to completely change the rear end for a standard one or how can I get the wheel spaced out?

A regular dually rear axle will not easily swap in. Your frame rails are narrower, and the leag spring mounts are also narrower. You would have to change the spring mounts and everything else. You're working in all custom territory as cab and chassis trucks used different fuel tanks, and quite a bit of other different pieces from a regular pickup.

Get wheel spacers from a tire/ rim company.
Make custom mounts to correct for the frame width differnce but NEVER DRILL OR WELD THE FLAGES OF THE FRAME!!
Do not weld on the frame face inbetween the spring mounts.

If you are not sure how to do it, go to a truck equipment shop that is NTEA certified. Ruining a frame is not worth saving a couple hundred dollars.

A regular dually rear axle will not easily swap in. Your frame rails are narrower, and the leag spring mounts are also narrower. You would have to change the spring mounts and everything else. You're working in all custom territory as cab and chassis trucks used different fuel tanks, and quite a bit of other different pieces from a regular pickup.
Get wheel spacers from a tire/ rim company.
Make custom mounts to correct for the frame width differnce but NEVER DRILL OR WELD THE FLAGES OF THE FRAME!!
Do not weld on the frame face inbetween the spring mounts.

If you are not sure how to do it, go to a truck equipment shop that is NTEA certified. Ruining a frame is not worth saving a couple hundred dollars.
Found a set of spacers I think I got it figured out and thank yall for the help! I wasn't totally sure if spacers would hold up yo pulling fully loaded trailers but I THINK they will.

Back