• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1996 Suburban no boost?!?

MY truck did almost the same thing. Turbo spun just fine but had no power and was sending out smoke signals. Finally ruled out the turbo, and sent it to a turbo shop in salt lake. When i took it to him he said gosh it spins fine are your sure nothing else is wrong? I told him that i found nothing else wrong. He then called me the next day and said the bearing were coked up really bad. So bad that something had to be re-machined. Had him rebuild it and man what a huge difference it made.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Wish i put that money into a A Team Turbo.

Thanks Guys so much.

I've talked to a few diesel techs this morning and basically got all the same advise.

One thing however... I'm about to throw on a new MAP sensor for the heck of it and see if I get lucky... it's a stretch...

Paveltolz, I may take you up on borrowing that turbo for trouble shooting purposes. When I get my funds up I think I'll shoot for the ATT Turbo... I just want to be sure it's the turbo first.

hookedup50, how did that Chinese clone turbo work out? Did it perform poorly, or did you just want more than stock boost?

I had a friend who did one of the Chinese clone GM8's, and it ran like CR@P! it was constantly defueling and dropping boost because of excessive intake air temps.

One thing however... I'm about to throw on a new MAP sensor for the heck of it and see if I get lucky... it's a stretch...

Won't make any difference, if you have taken off the vacuum system and put on a turbomaster. That's a fix for factory systems.

Shawn, I never used it. I had it on the shelf for about a year as the motor swap took alot more time and money. I was suspicious cause no casting Numbers on it, and the suspitions were confirmed when the heath turbomaster bolts did'nt line up. I was scared about using it so I got the ATT to protect my investment. I don't read lots of bad things about that company, but they should state new as being knockoff. The ATT will pay for itself with fuel savings if you can keep your foot out of it. I wish there was a way to see if it flows at least as well as a Gm.x. You are making a good decision on saving for ATT. I would have gotten one earlier except for getting gunshy from reading things from rat bastard haters. Good luck getting your problems solved.

you mentioned a light dust film. what is your air filter setup? I would find a 97+ air cleaner in a junkyard, as it is much better than the 96 and older air filter. plus the 97+ filter works with your future ATT!

WooHoo! got it working!

Thanks so very much for Paveltolz letting me borrow the spare he had laying around. That did the trick.

Here is a couple of lessons learned. Don't wire your wastegate shut for trouble shooting, that doesn't work. There is a tremendous amount of exhaust gas pressure pushing against the wastegate and it only takes the slightest movement to loose full boost. I learned this because when I first tried the loaner turbo I used the same turbomaster setup that I had on my original turbo. I got slightly more boost, but still not good. With my old turbo I got almost 1psi, with the loaner I got almost 3 psi. I then wired the wastegate shut and I got almost no pressure. You see when you wire the wastegate shut it may be holding firm, but there really is no opposing pressure to those exhaust gasses to keep the wastegate shut under load. I experimented with incrementally beefy springs and got up to 7psi boost pressure and a really sweet running Suburban! Now only one more week and I'll have enough money to shoot for a ATT Turbo.
Shawn

glad to hear its going! also noticed you are only a few hundred miles away, and a fellow 2wd enthusiast. welcome to the forum!

Back