• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1996 K2500 runs rough

My IP on the 98 Burb was/is doing the same thing, uneven idle, 200+ rpm surges at a steady throttle, and runaway incursions to the red zone on the tach when you "blip" the throttle pedal. The 200 rpm surging is what took out the transmission, lost the TCC, OD and 3rd gear all at the same time on the Interstate when it dropped out of OD to 2nd at 75mph! Limped it home at 45mph in 2nd gear.

My IP on the 98 Burb was/is doing the same thing, uneven idle, 200+ rpm surges at a steady throttle, and runaway incursions to the red zone on the tach when you "blip" the throttle pedal. The 200 rpm surging is what took out the transmission, lost the TCC, OD and 3rd gear all at the same time on the Interstate when it dropped out of OD to 2nd at 75mph! Limped it home at 45mph in 2nd gear.
This truck has had 3 nv4500 from the pump surging

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yup.
Already had a boost gauge.
We added oil psi, coolant temp, and a voltmeter.

Next will be looking into some wiring under the dash. When you use anything electrical, the dash lights dim way down and the stock voltmeter drops.
I'm thinking a bad ground.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Lol good point.
Crappie weather, so might be awhile.
It's odd, with the lights on bright, the drivers light will dim with window use. On dim, both will flicker.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

"I also noticed the FSS is leaking."
This can be the source of air. As mentioned eliminate air by the clear return line check as step #1 and then and only then step #2 is trons: grounds, filter harness removal etc. Grounds are always good advice, but, air free fuel is step one.
Not really a step 1 and 2 there. Kind of a both step one type of deal.

Also check for vacuum. It's easy and fast of you start the truck and the actuator on the turbo is stiff, that is good to go.

It only takes a minute to pull the vacuum line off the wastegate solenoid to check the actual vacuum before and after the solenoid.

Not really a step 1 and 2 there. Kind of a both step one type of deal.

Also check for vacuum. It's easy and fast of you start the truck and the actuator on the turbo is stiff, that is good to go.

It only takes a minute to pull the vacuum line off the wastegate solenoid to check the actual vacuum before and after the solenoid.

Depends on how one goes about things. Both are very important on these trucks, but, IMO one has to stay focused on one thing at a time and if you have to choose GM says start with air and fuel flow first. Cleaning grounds is simple enough, but, further into trons, electronics, is very difficult for most. So my second suggestion is screw up one thing at a time: don't break off a ground wire as you put it back together while fixing a fuel system problem and then spend the next two days overlooking an area you keep ignoring thinking you fixed it. Air leaks in a system is bad enough to fix as it is. Even with multiple problems: one thing at a time.

Back