• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1996 K2500 “Krovvy”

I haven't tried that line before. It looks like it flared well.

Honestly I'd clear coat the brake lines if you want them to stay looking that nice. They turn green after a while. Just like a old penny. Just what you need. ...More things to paint 😂
It flared really well. So far I’d definitely use it again. I also have 3/16 from the same people to do the rest of the lines so we’ll see how that stuff works.

Good to know on the turning green. Hmmm, I’m not sure if that’s cool or not. I’m leaning towards letting it turn. Good enough for The Statue of Liberty, good enough for Krovvy?

I thought the nickel coating was to keep them from corroding ? I know I have used nickel/brass shell casings and they hold up very well.

I thought the nickel coating was to keep them from corroding ? I know I have used nickel/brass shell casings and they hold up very well.
It’s actually not a coating, the metal is a nickel and copper alloy. And yes, the main reason for it is to keep it from corroding. But here in Michigan (the heart of the rust belt) we excel at making anything corrode 😬

I found an interesting article while looking to see if this stuff was compatible with stainless steel. I was looking because I want to out the spring rock guards on any exposed 3/16” lines (like on the rear axle). Based on where these fall on the galvanic scale they should be ok with stainless steel. I also found that The Stop Shop sells a nickel copper kit that comes with the stainless rock guards, so they seem to think it’s ok. So I ordered some of the stainless rock guard.

Here’s a link to the article. https://www.copper.org/applications/automotive/brake-tube/brake.html

Yesterday I got two coats of Oxide Red Rust Seal and then one coat of Safety Read Top Coater on the underside. There are brush marks because it was pretty humid out, but it’s more than good enough for the underside of the body.

808C0442-B216-4AB3-8BE1-87FBDBAB870A.jpeg34A9D34D-CD21-44E9-ACF8-92510C859BB2.jpeg

I started putting the Tunnel Shield on the firewall yesterday and finished that up this afternoon. It took longer than I expected, but it turned out pretty well overall.

42CA2CD4-A487-4D3A-81F9-B1C0122ABE2B.jpegBB4C4627-77A1-49CD-90FB-90EA082D45E4.jpeg1279369E-0625-482C-B04A-31F33C2F4DB8.jpeg8F43EDEA-4E71-4C59-B6D7-5A484F83AC95.jpeg

Then once that was done a big step forward happened.

485ABC53-EA5E-4F13-B7DE-5EF4D6B825F0.jpeg57385289-F458-4FC6-8D9E-678903F46951.jpeg34C6D2B7-B3FC-43D1-A960-7DD8279404B9.jpeg

It’s starting to look like a truck again! :cool:

I just love following your little "quickie" projects, Nate. I'd love to see what a complete, frame off restoration of yours would entail!
Hopefully I’ll be able to finally do one in the next few years. I have a 70 C10 and a 72 Chevelle that have been waiting almost 25 years for me to finish them. Hopefully these quicky projects give me the practice I need to do those vehicles the right way.

Hopefully I’ll be able to finally do one in the next few years. I have a 70 C10 and a 72 Chevelle that have been waiting almost 25 years for me to finish them. Hopefully these quicky projects give me the practice I need to do those vehicles the right way.

Wow, those year model vehicles bring back some memories. I learned to drive in a 1969 C10, three on the tree and had the 250 cubic inch straight 6 in it, with a 4:10 or 4:11 rear end. Yelp, from time to time the shifter linkage would get stuck, I think it was the first to second shift if I remember correctly.

If I remember correctly the 1969 C10 had an option of a 230 ci, a 250 ci or a 292 ci in line 6 along with some V8 options. I always dreamed about a 327, 350 or a 400 in that truck. Kinda glad it just had the 250 in it, I would have pushed a V8 to the limits... 🙂

I owned a BBC '72 Monte Carlo back my Senior year in High School ('79) and for the next four years through college. I never should have gotten rid of that car. Classic GM platform shared with the 68-72 Chevelles, Cutlasses, Gran Prixes and Apollos.

I owned a BBC '72 Monte Carlo back my Senior year in High School ('79) and for the next four years through college. I never should have gotten rid of that car. Classic GM platform shared with the 68-72 Chevelles, Cutlasses, Gran Prixes and Apollos.

That time period of vehicles from 1966 to about 1974 or so was golden to me, I suppose because I saw so many of them and as a young lad growing up they impressed me. I owned a few and rode in many of those, many of them scary fast, I suppose we were lucky we never wrapped one around a tree, but I know some guys that were not so lucky.

Wow, those year model vehicles bring back some memories. I learned to drive in a 1969 C10, three on the tree and had the 250 cubic inch straight 6 in it, with a 4:10 or 4:11 rear end. Yelp, from time to time the shifter linkage would get stuck, I think it was the first to second shift if I remember correctly.

If I remember correctly the 1969 C10 had an option of a 230 ci, a 250 ci or a 292 ci in line 6 along with some V8 options. I always dreamed about a 327, 350 or a 400 in that truck. Kinda glad it just had the 250 in it, I would have pushed a V8 to the limits... 🙂
The C10 was originally a straight six truck. When I bought it in 1994 it had a 1964 283 with a 2 barrel, ram horn manifolds and dual cherry bomb exhaust. It had 3 on the tree and I had to unjam it a couple times (once in a left turn lane). The 283 started knocking so I put a late 70s 350 in it. Then it got a late 70s Super T10 that blew the input gear so then it got a Saginaw 4 speed. It had 3.73 gears. For a while it was fairly quick and always fun.

The night five of us in a Cobra Jet Grand Torino with 500+hp on a rural Kansas hiway near Seneca back in the summer of '78. . .

That's wide open flat land country there, a person could stretch the legs out on one as they say.... ;)

I'm in the curvy mountain areas, one wrong move and your off the cliff. It taught me a bunch of driving skills, in the curves and in the snow and ice. There are a few places you can stretch one out for all its worth, but you better watch out for the curves and hills, its mainly on the 4 lane.

When us mountain boys went to drivers training we, absolutely blistered those flat land boys on the track, serpentine, precision driving, skid pad, duttans weave, especially in the curves... :smuggrin: ;)

Use to eat this mountain up, summer and winter......

Sorry @n8in8or, didn't mean to high jack your great build threat, guess we were reminiscing about the good ole days.

Last edited:
Yeah, Seneca is in the northeastern edge of Kansas in the Flint Hills region. Not so flat, very hilly country in the Big Blue River and Kansas River basins, but is straight roads for the most part. While we did hit triple digit speeds, the real pucker factor came at every intersection trying to keep it out of the ditches while cuttin' cookies (doing doughnuts) as many times around as we could, as fast as we could, before the rear slid out from under us and we went backwards.

Back