• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1996 K2500 “Krovvy”

You mean the Great Procrasti @n8in8or ?
Uh you lost me with that one. Krovvy is a Clockwork Orange reference.....hopefully I’m not forgetting Great Procrasti from it. From past posts you seem like a movie buff so I thought you’d enjoy the name, but I’ve been wrong before 😅

Uh you lost me with that one. Krovvy is a Clockwork Orange reference.....hopefully I’m not forgetting Great Procrasti from it. From past posts you seem like a movie buff so I thought you’d enjoy the name, but I’ve been wrong before 😅
No me droog. A little horrorshow ultra-violence upon the ol' gulliver will rattle the zoobies!

Actually, the play is on your screen name.
The Great Procrasti- n8or!

I ran a NV4500 behind my 82 6.2 with 3/8in adapter plate between stock bell housing and tranny worked fine. made a world of difference in the way it drove over "brilliant GM idea" overdrive with no low gear

I thought I read somewhere that you could use a Ram NV5600 with a GM input shaft. Then again, I could be wrong. There's so much stuff crammed into my head and Oldheimer's is beginning to set in that I have difficulty at times recalling things, not at all like 10-15 years ago when my mind was like a steel bear trap.

Yeah, trying to find a First Gen Duramax or a 7.4/8.1 gasser with the ZF6 behind it is almost like trying to find Eldorado.

I thought I read somewhere that you could use a Ram NV5600 with a GM input shaft. Then again, I could be wrong. There's so much stuff crammed into my head and Oldheimer's is beginning to set in that I have difficulty at times recalling things, not at all like 10-15 years ago when my mind was like a steel bear trap.

Psst: Rust. You gots a bad case of rust on that steel trap.

How did the firewall insulation look? It seems to be the first thing to fall apart on these trucks.

Are the evaporator lines cut off?

How did the firewall insulation look? It seems to be the first thing to fall apart on these trucks.

Are the evaporator lines cut off?
The insulation was in “ok” shape, but I don’t plan on keeping it. I much prefer the DEI Tunnel Shield on the firewall for aesthetics and cleanliness. The factory mat on the Tahoe caught fire once when I had to torch the manifold studs, that was enough incentive for me to not use them again.

Yeah the top evaporator line is twisted off, so I get to that, too. That’s ok, I’ll go through all of it.....it will be good to get the whole HVAC system in tip-top shape.

Looks like you're
After getting some things in the barn organized I got the truck pulled in. After that I spent some time pulling the front end apart for the next steps. Here’s how it’s sitting so far.

View attachment 59758
Looks like you're getting ready to start that frame-off rotisserie restoration of that "beater" truck, Nate! :hilarious: :joyful: 😂

The insulation was in “ok” shape, but I don’t plan on keeping it. I much prefer the DEI Tunnel Shield on the firewall for aesthetics and cleanliness. The factory mat on the Tahoe caught fire once when I had to torch the manifold studs, that was enough incentive for me to not use them again.

Yeah the top evaporator line is twisted off, so I get to that, too. That’s ok, I’ll go through all of it.....it will be good to get the whole HVAC system in tip-top shape.

I agree that the factory firewall mats are crap. I can't bring myself to toss out the center thick mats that are directly behind the engine. I actually recovered mine with thin fiberglass to improve the looks and keep them from disintegrating.

How difficult are the evaporators to do on these?
Complete dash removal?

I don’t know if it’s necessary, but that’s what I’m planning to do - I mean I don’t want the change to fall out of the ashtray when the body is upside down on the rotisserie:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
But hey, that's easier than a Go Fund Me to help defray the restoration costs, seat and ashtray change!

Back