• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1996 6.5 Diesel Engine Wiring Schematic

Nick 6.5

Reaction score
Does any know where I can find a detailed wiring schematic for a 1996 6.5 Diesel Engine?
I'm looking for the engine harness and cab harness sections

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to your local library. If they are set up with online service they should have access to some automotive manuals.

I've done that to get wiring schematics for my pickup.

Don

I've the 1997 GM Shop manuals and comparing them to the Haynes, the Haynes are good. Libraries may have additional manuals that you can copy or scan with a smart phone app.

If you have a specific circuit you're looking for, I may be able to help. "Engine and Cab harness" take up a few pages in the GM manuals.

I've the 1997 GM Shop manuals and comparing them to the Haynes, the Haynes are good. Libraries may have additional manuals that you can copy or scan with a smart phone app.

If you have a specific circuit you're looking for, I may be able to help. "Engine and Cab harness" take up a few pages in the GM manuals.

i will be looking for the circuits to splice into the dash and engine harness to make everything work corectly. im starting a 6.6 lb7 duramax swap and am not a huge fan of wiring at all

i will be looking for the circuits to splice into the dash and engine harness to make everything work corectly. im starting a 6.6 lb7 duramax swap and am not a huge fan of wiring at all

Ferminator did the same thing with his Suburban. He can probably point you in the right direction at least.

I believe he said at one point he would have swapped in the LB7 dash electronics if he were to do it again vice "Frankensteining" the original GMT400 stuff in. Something about tow/haul modes, the gauges and the BCM IIRC.

When/if my Optimizer 6500 ever dies my plan is to swap in the LB7 stuff instead of splicing the dash....would love to be able to use my roadrunner hardware on it....

Ferminator did the same thing with his Suburban. He can probably point you in the right direction at least.

I believe he said at one point he would have swapped in the LB7 dash electronics if he were to do it again vice "Frankensteining" the original GMT400 stuff in. Something about tow/haul modes, the gauges and the BCM IIRC.

When/if my Optimizer 6500 ever dies my plan is to swap in the LB7 stuff instead of splicing the dash....would love to be able to use my roadrunner hardware on it....
No way would I have swapped in the newer cluster to deal with airbag and ABS lights on all the time and DIC messages along with it. Mine is a 95, so the 96 wiring is different as 96 went to OBD2. I did add in the BCM to get tow/haul mode, and cut the control board out of a gauge cluster to get a tow/haul indicator. I just couldn't stand having warning lights on all the time.

No way would I have swapped in the newer cluster to deal with airbag and ABS lights on all the time and DIC messages along with it. Mine is a 95, so the 96 wiring is different as 96 went to OBD2. I did add in the BCM to get tow/haul mode, and cut the control board out of a gauge cluster to get a tow/haul indicator. I just couldn't stand having warning lights on all the time.

If memory serves, I do believe thedieselpage LB7 swap in to their 89 was gauges, wiring and all. They swapped the dash plastics too, but I seem to recall them saying they would use a 95+ GMT400 dash if they were to do it again and graft the 900 stuff in to it.

Seems a logical route to me.....

I would say it most likely required a bit of tweaking in the PCM to the fault reporting and such as I think they had the standard 89 column in it too.

In all honesty, I've only spitballed the idea around so far. My current optimizer has another 5-10 years of life in it and yanking it out before it wears out is not a financial option....

Back