• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1995 K2500 6.5 Diesel. LH turn signal flashes and works fine. RH does not flash.

brhynard

Reaction score
I am having a hard time figuring out what should be a pretty simple fix i feel like. I lost my flashing turn signal on the right side only. LH works fine. Turn signal flashes and everything lights up like it should. But on the right side, it just lights up only, no flashing. Hazards also do not work, no flashing.

normally i would think a bad flasher, however in this case doesnt the turn signal flasher operate both sides? and doesnt the hazard flasher control the hazards separately?

I am having a hard time figuring out what should be a pretty simple fix i feel like. I lost my flashing turn signal on the right side only. LH works fine. Turn signal flashes and everything lights up like it should. But on the right side, it just lights up only, no flashing. Hazards also do not work, no flashing.

normally i would think a bad flasher, however in this case doesnt the turn signal flasher operate both sides? and doesnt the hazard flasher control the hazards separately?
Yes and yes on fhe last paravraph.
I believe that there might be a ground wire for the RH turn signal/park lights. Be sure that it is connected and clean,
Check the bulbs first thing.

not sure what you mean by trailer plug T? It does have a 7 way connector under the back bumper

I also just checked the ground at the back ( i guess the rear lights all run to the same ground, on the LH rear frame rail i think). i took apart and cleaned up, no change.

not sure what you mean by trailer plug T? It does have a 7 way connector under the back bumper

I also just checked the ground at the back ( i guess the rear lights all run to the same ground, on the LH rear frame rail i think). i took apart and cleaned up, no change.
On certain years, there's a connection in front of the rear bumper that you can disconnect and install a T to feed the trailer plug.

That MF switch is a fairly expensive item. Be sure You replace it with a Delco unit.
Rock Auto gives a 5% discount if You insert the promo code that they post under their thread every so often.
Homepage and scroll way down. Sponsors are listed.
At least the 5% helps defray the postage.

do you have the old style flasher in the metal can or the newer electronic one. iirc the old style work off from resistance, the more amperage the bulbs pull the slower the flasher will flash. hence why it flashes quickly when one bulb is burned.

I would try ether pulling bulbs from the front or rear and seeing if anything changes. I am curious if one or more bulbs are pulling too much for the flasher to handle but not enough to pop the fuse! ether way try a new style elcetronic flasher. it's much cheaper than a MF switch and easy install lol. I can't remember if these rigs require the steering wheel to be pulled to replace the MF switch like the older rigs did.

Nope you can pull the MF switch by just removing the shrouds and then taking out the ignition tumbler.

I figured it out. Found my 7 way trailer plug was smashed and a couple of the contacts were touching. After bending them back turn signal flashes again so hoping that's all it was.

Yeah you're right. Had he not mentioned that I probably wouldn't have even looked at the trailer plug. Something was messed up with the nut behind the steering wheel which seems to have caused the trailer plug to get rammed into something and bent the pins. I never thought they could have been shorted out there but that was obviously the case. My hazard fuse was blown and so once I straightened the 7 way pins (gonna have to replace soon) and swapped the fuse, truck is back in business.

I knew if I posted here I would get some good ideas, this site is great for that

do you have the old style flasher in the metal can or the newer electronic one. iirc the old style work off from resistance, the more amperage the bulbs pull the slower the flasher will flash. hence why it flashes quickly when one bulb is burned.

I would try ether pulling bulbs from the front or rear and seeing if anything changes. I am curious if one or more bulbs are pulling too much for the flasher to handle but not enough to pop the fuse! ether way try a new style elcetronic flasher. it's much cheaper than a MF switch and easy install lol. I can't remember if these rigs require the steering wheel to be pulled to replace the MF switch like the older rigs did.

The flasher I have is a 3 pin black plastic box. There is one under the driver dash for hazards and another more in the middle under the dash for turns.

Fixed, Woohoo!
@jrsavoie was on the right hunt!
I've had a lot more experience in that vicinity than I ever wanted.
A lot of that was due to Susie the trailer wiring, eating dog.

She had a particular taste for anything that involved trailer wiring. Be it on the vehicle or the trailer.
The wires going to the trailer plug on the 1989 were a cobbled up mess of wire nuts, butt splices and other.

I rarely had time to fix things right, at the times when I found the damage

Back