• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1995 GM 6.5 turbo acceleration problem.

namdub

Reaction score
Had a problem with random acceleration for several years but I turn off the ignition, restart and it's fine for a while.....MAJOR PROBLEM, after changing fuel filter and accelerator control, I drove for about 3 miles and the throttle went wide open, then to a crawl, wide open, repeat repeat repeat and then shut off and will not start. Now it is interesting when this truck goes wide open several times but I was trying to make a safe pull off stop...then had to tow. I have changed the PDM, Inj. timing stepper motor and accelerator control but will still not start. Getting fuel. Anyone else ever had this problem or suggestions ? P.S. It was a very hard shift from crawl to wide open.

Wot events are usually 2 things, PMD or IP
Yeah AK, we know about that huh.
Haven't had another WOT event since that night Vegas...swapped in a new PMD and its all been good since then. For the record, that was a hard pull off the line and when I got out of the throttle (slow cars approaching) it stayed WOT. AK smartly turned off the key cause I was standing on the brake and going for neutral....anyway, just an example

NAMDUB, first off, welcome to TTS.
I'm guessing you're running a post 94 since you've swapped PMDs but, please let us know what year truck you're running...trying to get started I mean.

20 ish question routine (not talking down to you here Amigo, just don't know what your diesel history is):
To be clear, you've experienced a final WOT and then it wouldn't restart...after that last episode you had to tow it home?
What codes did you see/are you seeing?
What lead you to decide to swap out the Stepper Motor and the Accelerator Pedal?
The old PMD, where was it mounted...OEM location on the IP, above the IP on the upper intake with an aftermarket heat sink or outside the engine bay?
The PMD you swapped in, was it a new unit or one you've had around for just such an emergency?
Do you hear the Lift Pump running when you first key on and are waiting for the Glow Plugs to cycle?
Have you removed the injector line from Cylinder 1 (Driver's side front...easiest to get to) and tried to start it to see if fuel is getting through?
These and more will be the standard questions the group will ask.
Is the 'DUB' part of your handle for VWs? Sympathetic ear here for those too...not much knowledge, just owned a few...I digress.

Yeah AK, we know about that huh.
Haven't had another WOT event since that night Vegas...swapped in a new PMD and its all been good since then. For the record, that was a hard pull off the line and when I got out of the throttle (slow cars approaching) it stayed WOT. AK smartly turned off the key cause I was standing on the brake and going for neutral....anyway, just an example

NAMDUB, first off, welcome to TTS.
I'm guessing you're running a post 94 since you've swapped PMDs but, please let us know what year truck you're running...trying to get started I mean.

20 ish question routine (not talking down to you here Amigo, just don't know what your diesel history is):
To be clear, you've experienced a final WOT and then it wouldn't restart...after that last episode you had to tow it home?
What codes did you see/are you seeing?
What lead you to decide to swap out the Stepper Motor and the Accelerator Pedal?
The old PMD, where was it mounted...OEM location on the IP, above the IP on the upper intake with an aftermarket heat sink or outside the engine bay?
The PMD you swapped in, was it a new unit or one you've had around for just such an emergency?
Do you hear the Lift Pump running when you first key on and are waiting for the Glow Plugs to cycle?
Have you removed the injector line from Cylinder 1 (Driver's side front...easiest to get to) and tried to start it to see if fuel is getting through?
These and more will be the standard questions the group will ask.
Is the 'DUB' part of your handle for VWs? Sympathetic ear here for those too...not much knowledge, just owned a few...I digress.

First of all, much thanks for the replies. I have owned the truck (95 Chevy 2500) for about 5 years. It has been good on fuel but started having a problem after the purchase. The PMD was replaced and behind the bumper. A friend, mechanic loaned me a test PMD to try and then I purchased a new one. As far as the ITSM, after watching a vid, I thought it may be the problem....but to no avail. Kind of at a loss as to what to try next. Yeah, it is budman backwards. Thanks

Did you notice any "fishbiting" before it did this? That is a 30-50 rpm "surge" while driving that may not have been noticeable on the tach but you could feel in the seat of your pants, so to speak. Possibly even 100-200 rpm if it was bad.

Personally, based off of your description and what you've already done to it, I'd say your IP is pretty much DOA.

Also @namdub, do everybody and yourself a favor and fill out your signature (in Profile section) with all the pertinent info on your ride. Year, model, mileage, mods you've done, etc. It makes it easier for everyone to help diagnose issues and you don't have to keep answering the same questions over and over again, like "Is it an original style Stanadyne PMD or a new style Black Flight Services PMD and is it remote mounted and where?

Back