• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1995 Chevrolet Kodiak 16' dump $3,000

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
A friend has this for sale.
I'd like to have it, but I know I won't get to it.

If anybody is interested in shooting me a price on getting it going, I'm wide open to prices.

I don't think it's a bad deal as it sits.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221116-080537.png
    Screenshot_20221116-080537.png
    120.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20221116-080604.png
    Screenshot_20221116-080604.png
    43.6 KB · Views: 10
Actually, it looks like a good deal if you know MD Diesels. If I was in the market for something like it I'd probably take the chance at $2500 after I had a knowledgeable diesel mechanic take a look at the engine.

3116 is a nightmare fuel system for diy person. You will spend same price in tooling.
There is two types:

the newer one is electronic controlled heui like the fords had using a high pressure oil pump to get the boost in fuel pressure- the electronics when they go are pricey, and you need computer for set up (think more expensive and pita than ds4). This is more rare system so less part availability.

The more common older one uses exterior governor and in head rack system that the cam leverages to the individual injectors to get the high fuel pressure (like intake & exhaust valves get moved). When everything is perfect- it’s great. Getting it there will drive newbies to suicide. Special tools to seat the injector in the cup- do it wrong=new head. Once seated there is a “tuning” adjustment (can’t think of right term) that you have to use these tiny adjustment blocks for setting and a specialty micrometer that gets all the injectors equalized. Too much pressure on that and it breaks. So you are dealing with multiple specialty tool kits needed for the different procedures. Cost of these tools is lmore than that truck price unless there is a ton of nos available from military auctions.
Setting up those blocks in a gm truck will make you want to kill gm enginineers because of the back cylinder. #5 will take twice the time of the first 4, and #6- hahaha, yeah...

All this doesn’t account for the oldest upside down fuel filters that need trashed for upright ones with plungers. The check valves feeding that fails frequently. When the fuel leaves the head (think common rail design for the low pressure supply to the injectors) there is a fuel pressure regulator that many newbies think is just a square block- those fail often from air intrusion- oh- air intrusion DESTROYS both types of injectors btw.

Fuel bugs are the death of this engine. You are replacing everything and get to learn setting up every aspect.

So... when it is a decent running engine- it is great. Ask which system it has- then ask around your town and find a guy that is SUPER familiar with them that has the tooling and does sidework. You will not pay a cat shop to fix this system because It is labor intensive. The military was the customer for these and guess what they did- chase air intrusion and beyond that- engine r&r. There used to be tons of take out 3116 at the auctions.

The rest of the engine is a solid design and low failure issues. The fuel system is what took this from a great engine to not happy.

3116 is a nightmare fuel system for diy person. You will spend same price in tooling.
There is two types:

the newer one is electronic controlled heui like the fords had using a high pressure oil pump to get the boost in fuel pressure- the electronics when they go are pricey, and you need computer for set up (think more expensive and pita than ds4). This is more rare system so less part availability.

The more common older one uses exterior governor and in head rack system that the cam leverages to the individual injectors to get the high fuel pressure (like intake & exhaust valves get moved). When everything is perfect- it’s great. Getting it there will drive newbies to suicide. Special tools to seat the injector in the cup- do it wrong=new head. Once seated there is a “tuning” adjustment (can’t think of right term) that you have to use these tiny adjustment blocks for setting and a specialty micrometer that gets all the injectors equalized. Too much pressure on that and it breaks. So you are dealing with multiple specialty tool kits needed for the different procedures. Cost of these tools is lmore than that truck price unless there is a ton of nos available from military auctions.
Setting up those blocks in a gm truck will make you want to kill gm enginineers because of the back cylinder. #5 will take twice the time of the first 4, and #6- hahaha, yeah...

All this doesn’t account for the oldest upside down fuel filters that need trashed for upright ones with plungers. The check valves feeding that fails frequently. When the fuel leaves the head (think common rail design for the low pressure supply to the injectors) there is a fuel pressure regulator that many newbies think is just a square block- those fail often from air intrusion- oh- air intrusion DESTROYS both types of injectors btw.

Fuel bugs are the death of this engine. You are replacing everything and get to learn setting up every aspect.

So... when it is a decent running engine- it is great. Ask which system it has- then ask around your town and find a guy that is SUPER familiar with them that has the tooling and does sidework. You will not pay a cat shop to fix this system because It is labor intensive. The military was the customer for these and guess what they did- chase air intrusion and beyond that- engine r&r. There used to be tons of take out 3116 at the auctions.

The rest of the engine is a solid design and low failure issues. The fuel system is what took this from a great engine to not happy.
Thanks. I'll just stay away from it. I don't have much luck hiring anyone to do anything.

Back