• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994 K3500 extended cab dually

Wait, just factory drum brakes or a rear disk conversion, new gears set up, all new seals and some paint?

Haha- if you would do a hack job once a decade, we wouldn’t hold you to this standard!
Oh man, I didn’t even think about just doing a disc swap. It might have been just as cost effective - those drums are pricey!!

This truck has no name?

There will be many of us disappointed if the bed is not off or the rear end is not pulled out and on jackstands. :D

Does this truck have 4.10 gears?

Where did the headlight and turn signal covers go??

That cap, hmmmm.... I don't believe that you are seasoned enough to have such a device on this truck. :)

Last edited:
This truck has no name?

There will be many of us disappointed if the bed is not off or the rear end is not pulled out and on jackstands. :D

Does this truck have 4.10 gears?

Where did the headlight and turn signal covers go??

That cap, hmmmm.... I don't believe that you are seasoned enough to have such a device on this truck. :)

It does have a name. I wasn’t going to unveil it until the truck was more built, but since you asked... it’s name is Surtr. He’s a figure in Norse mythology and also translates to “black” in old Norse.

I might actually try to disappont you guys with this one. I want to get a truck on the road and not have 3 disabled trucks in the barn. #LifeGoals 😅

3.73 gears, which I think will work well once it’s built.

I removed the covers. I don’t want to hinder my lighting at night. Unfortunately I cracked one while removing.

Seasoned enough? Explain?

He means those bed tops are used buy old people.

Maybe we are old enough to use them now. 🤣

Ah gotcha. I should have figured that out.

I’m not normally a fan of them, but I kinda like how it looks on this truck for some reason and it can sure be nice to have covered cargo space some times.

I agree about having a covered cargo area. I would like to find a cap for mine at some point. I should probably start with a bed first.

Progress has been slow lately. I finally got the rear brakes finished up last night.

3D5A0F11-BFCF-4134-A231-18D1D5C23A1E.jpeg

One f the axle tubes was scored where the seal rode on it.

535A88B2-BB92-4E51-9E1E-2B1A98FC28CA.jpeg

So I installed a Spedi-sleeve and it was good as new.

F6C36CE0-17B4-48F0-AC58-B0FD1BAD0C55.jpeg

I had an unusual delay on Sunday. As I was looking at the brakes before tearing them apart I noticed a part missing - the parking brake strut rod. It was missing on both sides. I thought you couldn’t buy them aftermarket, but I found that Dorman makes them. I managed to find one locally and get one of the brakes together, but I had to order the second one and finally got that together Monday night.

D341C067-43DB-4181-BF30-14E964113934.jpeg
6DF32644-9729-4F35-AB91-73223C0728C4.jpeg

After that I finished all of the rear brake lines. I just used some coated steel tubing I had in stock already instead of buying more of the nickel copper tube. Eventually this truck will get fully torn apart and I’ll do all new nickel copper lines at that time.

I got the old exhaust cut off, put the rear wheels on and turned the truck around. Time to tackle the front end of the truck.

5E51DEA5-6789-4AEF-AD3C-9034F67EEE8A.jpeg

I got a little time to work on it this week - mostly inspecting the front brakes, suspension and steering, ordering parts and removing the old fuel lines and FFM.

Today I tore into it further. I got all of the steering parts removed so I could swap the center link and pitman arm - while inspecting the steering I found that the pitman arm nut was loose (the cotter pin was holding it in place still) and the stud was loose in the center link. So I ordered a new center link, assuming the hole in the old one was messed up. The idler arm was also a little loose so that was getting replaced as well. I already had a Super Steer idler bracket that I bought shortly after I bought this truck last fall. I had planned on going all through the truck this winter like I did with Krovvy this spring and I was going to really beef up the front end. Now for some reason I totally forgot that the Super Steer part was only the bracket.....I was thinking it was an idler arm too. So when I opened the box today and found only the bracket, I thought I was stuck until I got an idler arm, but then I thought some more - Krovvy is more of a build than initially planned so the Super Steer bracket is actually a better fit for that truck. Plus the MOOG parts I bought for Krovvy are actually a more reasonable fit for the dually since it will be getting torn apart again in the near future and the Mevotech parts for the dually are better for Krovvy (YAAAYYYYY more parts to paint!!), so the idler and pitman arm got pulled from Krovvy so they could be installed on the dually.

C9A0636C-A8F9-464C-9949-6A2CEE3C969E.jpeg
33581B67-91C7-42CD-B735-096D59A0F182.jpeg

The driver side outer CV boot was torn, so I yanked that axle after pulling the steering and took the joint apart for cleaning and inspecting. Evwrything looked ok so I picked up a Dorman boot locally. I know this boot won’t last a long time, but it will work long enough for me to use the truck for a while and then when it gets restored in the future I’ll get new thermoplastic boots from Rockford Constant Velocity.

2EED1947-6850-49B0-8F29-6423BF0D3317.jpeg

I also got the accessories taken off the engine so I could yank the water pump. I’m going to put the balanced flow water pump and Hayden fan clutch from the Tahoe on this truck to help keep it cooler while towing.

374A0942-B20A-4881-A751-D48BC89E5DD6.jpeg

The only things I didn’t get removed that I wanted to were the oil cooler, exhaust crossover, turbo and manifolds. I have to admit......I’m a little nervous.......right about now is where I’d get the brilliant idea to pull the front clip, yank the engine, paint the frame, yadda, yadda, yadda. I hope I don’t get any big ideas in my dreams tonight 😬

On the cv joints- when you all get bored replacing them, look into the 4130 cave, balls and ball gear. They last amazing longer and are much stronger.
Got a link ? I tried doing a search as it is worded and came up with nothing, well, it did come up with stuff, just not what I was expecting. LOL

@n8in8or is the Hayden a better option fan clutch than the kennedy diesel unit ?

Back