• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994 K3500 extended cab dually

I finished getting the short block torn down this evening. Still no main cracks, which really kind of surprises me, but maybe that DSG girdle was doing its job? Plus that girdle adds studs in those outer main holes, so that would be a second benefit, versus the stock bolts. I took everything apart pretty quickly since I was trying to get it all done tonight (I want to be ready so if the shop calls and says they’re done with my heads then I can take the block with me when I pick them up), so I don’t have a lot of other observations to share. So far all of the pistons look good. One other thing I did notice is all of the upper shells of the rods are worn in a narrow band, so they were apparently seeing a lot of cylinder pressure….. I’ll clean things up, inspect and take pictures in the next couple days.

I got the heads from the machine shop. Bad news is both heads have serious cracks. Good news is that makes the likelihood of the block being savable higher. Cylinders 1, 2 and 8 had cracks in them. I looked at the pistons for those cylinders and I don’t really see any signs of the tops being washed, so that’s interesting.

C1B2BB4C-05C7-428C-9C0E-286B4E887974.jpegF86B1BB9-8627-44B9-A0DB-5BF82ADA20BE.jpegD03EBD17-AF9C-4965-BB1F-DE1A9EF2F695.jpegCDA6B376-B889-4878-9C91-DB73E69AF4A1.jpeg0E27E40C-050D-456A-B20B-2DB9E8C2467C.jpegE4467FB3-5951-4697-A2F0-686CA8058024.jpeg

I also looked at #4 as a control and it looked the same to me.

A429D2E7-E021-46DC-9AD5-CB67E015CCD9.jpeg

While I was looking at the pistons, I took some pics of the rod bearings for reference. Definitely some concentrated wear on the top shell.

457561DC-6297-486A-B778-65C2E28E2642.jpeg77A77765-BCB7-4073-BAB8-DD1FBCC26419.jpeg4B783B97-20E5-4176-9ECF-496AA17521D8.jpeg

The block is at the machine shop so they can check it for cracks. They said they’d have that checked in the next couple weeks. So now it’s time to build another engine. I’m working on my plans now. In the meantime, I’ll also be back working on the Frankensquare project.

These are Optimizer heads, aren't they? What egt do you see on a hard pull?
These are GM heads, I think with a 98 date code. My EGT story is complicated because my gauge was acting up, but I know I’ve seen 1300 degrees when it wasn’t acting up and I wouldn’t be surprised if I hit higher than that at least once - like when I hit the 1/4 mile in Ohio. So yeah, it’s not terribly surprising I have some issues.

They are around 1800 each, but may not be available for much longer, the others are much less....
Wow, I didn't realize they were that much now. I know you don't love the PM heads..... Besides the quality of the casting (as far as excess flash and stuff) is there anything else you don't like about them? I think they didn't have inconel precups, but are they machined well enough that GM precups can be installed in them?

i was looking around your air/water intercooler installation, very well done.
and read you add a 6 gallons tank at the end.
some problem on the 1 gallon system?
not enought to cool down the intercooler system?

i was looking around your air/water intercooler installation, very well done.
and read you add a 6 gallons tank at the end.
some problem on the 1 gallon system?
not enought to cool down the intercooler system?
Thanks Alex. I wish I had a definitive answer for you, but I never got around to doing any temperature testing with the way the system was set up before - I added the extra tank because I knew it would do nothing but help the system work better by having additional coolant in the system. Someday it would be nice to do some good temperature tests on this system and even try removing the extra capacity and see what that does to it.

Thanks Alex. I wish I had a definitive answer for you, but I never got around to doing any temperature testing with the way the system was set up before - I added the extra tank because I knew it would do nothing but help the system work better by having additional coolant in the system. Someday it would be nice to do some good temperature tests on this system and even try removing the extra capacity and see what that does to it.
Shirley you jest, what, and stop building stuff. 🤔

Back