• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994 6.5td Glow plug voltage.

bradthefixer

65 SS
Reaction score
Hello All, What voltage should I read at an individual glow plug? with key on engine off, no other loads. I just replaced the original GPs at 273,000 miles. Been checking them every 2 years so they came out easy. except No 8 got it loose then hit the key and pow! its out. I used a 2 1/2'' hole saw for a hole in the fender well, then patch it with an electrical mastic pad. All the old plugs read less than 1 ohm, bench test with good Batt all were good. Decided to change them before they get fat and wouldn't be able to get them out. Also was starting hard it seemed. New Bosch Durotherm's, and it's still starting hard. Checked all new plugs with ohm meter before I installed them. So what voltage should be sent to the plugs if the GP rely is good? I put a lot of miles on this truck without any cheesy mods. Best vehicle I've ever owned. 100% stock except a Rhino muffler. I've gotten a lot of good info from this site. Glad I finally figured out how to post!

Voltage should be identical to voltage at GP relay post. Near voltage of battery, maybe 0.1 volts less.

I've never checked mine with a DVM, but the dash gauge drops significantly.

Back