• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1994...6.5...What exhaust should i get Post pics of your exhaust .

Slight derail noutice: ya know, in several other threads, we talk about ceramic coating this or that, but i really don't recall anyone mentioning coating the entire exhaust. It would certainly help lengthen the life span of the exhaust, not to mention the added side benefit of better performance. The theory behind it is the longer the exhaust stays hotter, the less the engine has to work to push out the exhaust. Now, just guessing here, but i wonder if this could potentially help reduce drive pressure any? I believe jet hot or the like can do the coating and buff/polish it up fairly cheaply. Not sure on that part totally, though.

$450 is a great price. The system is made of 409 series SS not 304, but will still last longer in a salty environment than alluminized.
I did check with my supplier and I can do $445.00, but I would have to do a group buy (only the first time) as they require a "buy in" I would have to have 14 kits confirmed sold before I would place an order. If there is an interest I'll start a seperate group buy thread.
FYI: the SS kit comes with 304 SS hangers/clamps, but you have to weld the hangers to the tube. Its a 3" DP and opens to 4". The kit also eliminates the cat so if you have to have a cat you'll need to install one.

Let me know

Well good news, I found another supplier and can get a SS mandrel bent system w/muffler for $415 shipped, but its not a big seller for them so they don't stock many. Atleast until they see they are moving them.
Right now it only for trucks not Suburbans, but I think the difference is in the clamps and if a person was inclined could modify them to fit. I don't know this as fact though.
I just sold one for to a guy with a Suburban and told him they were for trucks and he will have to do mods to make it fit. I hope he gets back to me on how it go's.

OH! and no group buy necessary.

Leroy - I'm all fixed up for now on exhaust.

Others (and Leroy too) - I am totally in on the stainless steel band clamps vs. cheapo stuff. But I'm not so sold on the stainless pipe, even at similar price to aluminized. I believe the oem was aluminized? I'm also curious what type of stainless you may be getting. Some alloys are not completely resistant to corrosion. Perhaps someone could weigh in on the corrosion resistance of each? I've had no issues with exhaust on my '95 GMC, I had about 290,000 miles and 13 years on oem exhaust and now have 100,000 miles and 4 years on Kennedy Diesel exhaust (aluminized with stainless steel band clamps). I drive mostly in ND and MN. But have also been around MI, MT and ID during winter for sledding. They use alot of salt so I suspect this rig would qualify as a salt test? In fact, about a month ago they were spraying liquid salt solution all over Bismarck on the forcast of freezing rain, yikes!

I am in no means the salt belt, but ice storms are a possibility in KS, so salt is used..alot. plus, I70 thorugh wyoming uses it on hills overpasses, etc, so I do get some exposure. I still have OEM aluminized, and none have rotted through yet.

That is a good price leroy. Does this still require the welding the clamps together on the stainless. I bought the Diamond Eye aluminum system on ebay. I cleaned it, sanded it and painted it 4 times. And its rotting to pieces. I want to do a stainless setup next time. Cant afford it until im working full time, but i also dont have a welder.

Clearly the aluminizing process (i.e. metalurgical bond) would be much better than any paint as a coating. Whereas the stainless steel would have chromium throughout. The chromium oxidizes and self repairs (until material is all gone, eh?). DieselSlug, I would suspect the base material could be suspect (lacking temperature resistance)? The base metal could be failing the paint??? In the case of stainless steel, the chrome which makes it resistant to the salt spray, also makes it resistant to high temperature. Thus, unless you trust the steel material that is aluminized, one might be safer with stainless steel. However, if the chrome content is too low, you could quite easily have corrosion problems with stainless steel as well. The folks who pull harder and longer, could be heat cycling the exhaust to higher temperatures, and thus need better stuff. My experience is probably best described as somewhat frequent light duty towing. At any rate, metalurgy is a bit vodoo to me, much like grandma's cooking (recipes), so please correct me if I am mistaken.

Another point might be the connection to why people fail exhaust parts that are wrapped with insulation!! Is it because the wrap holds moisture and salt? Or as I suspect, high temperature vs. the steel recipe?? Maybe to settle the discussion, the vendors would have to give up their recipe?? Not likely?

The SS systems would be 409 seires. 409 wil rust, but much slower. It "should out last" aluminized.
304 or 316 would cost much more, but would last 25 years.

Dieselslug I was told all the hangers are correct. I have yet to install one so can't say for sure at this point. Why don't you be our test pig?

Nickel helps, but you gotta have chrome. I believe the 409 series has enough chrome to make it sufficiently temperature resistant in terms of our exhaust parts.

I was under the impression that the OEM systems were stainless. There is a lot of stainless out there anymore that can not be checked with a magnet. Just because a magnet willl stick to something doesn't mean it's not stainless

I was under the impression that the OEM systems were stainless. There is a lot of stainless out there anymore that can not be checked with a magnet. Just because a magnet will stick to something doesn't mean it's not stainless

Ok i finally got another exhaust on my truck, its a 4 inch pipe to a 5 inch tip, this exhaust came off of a dodge cummins and i only paid 45.00 for it. I got some pics from when i put it on at work and may get more pictures later. truck exhaust.jpgtruck exhaust 2.jpgtruck exhaust 1.jpg

I've been looking at stainless also. wish some one had a one piece 2-1/2" stainless cross over
I like the price on SSDiesel's 4" kit but I just ran across another mandrel bent 4" stainless kit that's listed for $345 :eek:

edit:
And another place that looks like they are selling the Flo-Pro stainless kit for $398

Back