• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1993 Ford Bronco 4 door-Rare! - $13000 (Texarkana)

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
http://texarkana.craigslist.org/cto/4785056112.html

RARE! 1993 Ford Bronco 4 door. 1 ton, 4X4, 7.3 idi diesel with Banks turbo.
Centurion conversion.
New heavy duty rebuilt auto tranny.
175K miles.
Seats 9 with 3 rows. 8000LB Beast. Powerful. Drives Great! Makes a suburban look whimpy parked side by side. Spent $12K repairs last 3 years alone, really nothing left to do mechanically. Interior is OK but aged. Open check book to fix everything I could find. Never intended to sell. No rust. Florida car before me. Thumbs up every where you go! I spent a few years looking when I bought it and shipped it 1500 miles on flatbed.

It's a pickup with a cap and maybe a seat bolted in the bed by the looks of it. Ugly and then some. Rare, yes. But that doesn't overcome ugly and the, well, it better come with a good supply of recreational drugs the owner is sharing for that asking price. :eek:

While I would never get it, the ford bronco guys will love it. To some of them , I see them paying the price, or at least close to it.

I liked the Fords back then. But I could not take that big of a hit on fuel mileage. Be better off with a 302 or 351 in it.

Had a Mach 1 and a Grand Torino Elite with 351's Liked both of those

Quick search shows that it is a pickup converted into a SUV with the Suburban market in mind.

Mileage wise, the obs 7.3 will do about the same as the 6.5 and results are just as dependent on gearing, mods, and amount of right foot fun.

Seeing as it already has a 7.3, a ZF-6 will bolt-up and get better mileage.

Reliability, the 7.3 is known for going well over 500K with regular maintenance.

Interesting in that this vehicle was converted to toad use. I'd like to see pics of the seller's motorcoach.

Zf6 will not bolt right up. Zf6 won't get any better mileage than a zf5, same trans but the zf6 has the granny low. 1-5 ratios are mostly the same.
It could get a little better mileage than the 12-14, with a turbo, etc, etc, etc.
The price is about right, for how "rare" they are.
The 7.3 idi isn't exactly a 500k engine. Some have, most not. The thin cylinder walls were the killer.
Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Zf6 will not bolt right up.
It doesn't? http://nwforddiesels.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1291142102

Zf6 won't get any better mileage than a zf5, same trans but the zf6 has the granny low.

Did not mention a ZF-5, but that brings up a good question: how does a ZF-6 with 0.72:1 final and closer gears get the same mileage as a ZF-5 with 0.76:1 final?

The 7.3 idi isn't exactly a 500k engine. Some have, most not. The thin cylinder walls were the killer.

Was not aware of that aspect and had not previously read about it. Knew that the 7.3 idi was known as gutless.

Always like the opportunity to learn something new. Yes indeed the cylinder wall thickness is an issue in the 7.3 idi *IF* the coolant SCA's are out of balance; this causes cavitation and an eventual pin hole. So just like the 6.5, maintenance of the 7.3 idi is key.

Those thin walls are why the 7.3 handle het better than the 6.5 (even after the water pump improvement). When you think 7.3, think 6.5. The life span and fuel economy is about the same, and both lack from proper turbo choice from the factory. Same ip design, same injector design, etc. Beat it hard and you can kill one in less than 100,000 and get horrible mileage. Take it easy and maintain it right and a long life is normal. Had many in the fleets around here.

It doesn't? http://nwforddiesels.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1291142102

It doesn't. That link is a powerstroke, not idi. Way different engine. Don't just think I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm from/in the ford world of things. You could say I know a thing or two about them. Lol
The input shaft length is different on the zf6.

Did not mention a ZF-5, but that brings up a good question: how does a ZF-6 with 0.72:1 final and closer gears get the same mileage as a ZF-5 with 0.76:1 final?

Not enough of a difference for most to notice. We're talking 0.0X mpg difference, if that.

Was not aware of that aspect and had not previously read about it. Knew that the 7.3 idi was known as gutless.

And yeah, as with any, maintenance is the biggest thing. I didn't know cavitation in the 6.5's was as big as the 7.3 idi.
I would rather take my chances on a 6.5 than 7.3. Been there, done that.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Back