• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1993 5.7 tbi not idling properly and holding shifts

Dylly

Reaction score
This is my 1993 short box, reg cab, 2wd toy truck that I only drive in the summers. So I took the truck out for the first time a day ago... ran fine, shifted fine until i fired it up this morning ...

Wants to idle at ~1200rpm... when it tries to idle down, it attempts to die and surges up to ~1200rpm again ... Changed the idle air control (IAC) sensor out... same thing still ...

Took it out for a drive and it refuses to shift unless you let your foot off the throttle... Held it at 2000rpm and wouldn't shift out of first without letting off the throttle.

Could these two symptoms be related? and/or what could my problem be?

ECM and gauge coolant temp sensors are different. TPS is a maintenance item anyway. You can test it with a voltmeter to be sure.

Well good news! Changed the TPS and it shifts and idles like it used to.... I guess the TPS operates how it idles and is used to determine shift parameters by the ECM.

Either way... Its nice when the first suggestion works.

Thanks a lot!

Back