• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1990 7.3L into a 2006 f350(diesel engine dead)

derrickhand2

derrickhand2
Reaction score
Hi everyone, just figured i should intoduce myself and share my little project with you. I bought a 1990 7.3L out of a roll over a few years ago for cheap -the engine only has 52000 km on it !!! was in a neighbours farm truck and very well looked after,i got the whole wreck home and pulled the engine and scraped the wreck. well now i am wanting to build a truck to pull our holiday trailer(28ft) and a quad in the box.i have a line on a 2006 f350 lariet crew cab auto trans with a blown engine and i am hoping that there wont be much trouble putting it together?? are the engine mounts the same? what do i have to upgrade or down grade ? will the tranny bolt up etc i have just started planning this out and have not yet bought the 2006 -i figure i better make sure everything will fit before spending any more cash --so any input would be greatly appreciated ,i have the shop on my parents farm to work in and plenty of shop tools etc thanks for any help you can suggest to me

Dropping a 7.3L N/A into an 06 would make for one big SLOW truck. That 90 7.3L is only about 180-185HP on a good day at sea level VS the 325HP 6.0L it would be replacing. As far as I know, virtually nothing would bolt up, and the stock guages most likely wouldn't work either. Not worth it in my opinion to downgrade an 06 truck so far. Maybe do a 12 valve swap in it, but even then you would be looking at a few grand in adapter plates and such to drop it in, plus whatever else would be needed to make it work.

I wouldn't do anything less than a common rail cummins or bullet proofed 6.0 in a truck like that. The chassis would make for a great pulling truck though.

no offense, but bad idea. like said, tons of work involved to have a low output engine. plus, junking the donor didnt help. when doing a complete powertrain swap, you are best off having both donor rigs.

but, welcome to the site! we hope you find a era correct or older rig to drop the good 7.3L IDI into. or an old IHC pickup truck, due to the engine actually being a navistar. :) have fun with it!

Depending on how knowledgeable and observant your inspection guy is, a truck with an engine older than the chassis would not pass emissions inspection either. Legally it is OK to put a newer engine in an older vehicle, but not OK to put an older engine in a newer vehicle for "on-road" use.

Oops, I just noticed you are in Canada. Maybe the vehicle inspection rules are different there.

Back