• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1989 Mustang LX 302 To 351W Swap

this is turning out pretty sweet. i bet its gonna be one quick pony. im restoring a 66 coupe myself

Thanks! This project has gone WAY overkill. THe plan was to drop in the engine and go, but when i found out the valve seals were shot i got real nice aluminum heads. While i got the heads might as well feed them good with enough air and fuel. Its just a rolling snowball that keeps getting bigger, but at the end i plan to he in the high 300's for HP. My girlfriend dreams of a 60's vintage someday!

same thing happened to me when i did my cummins swap. oh o ill just freshen it up....3 grand later injector turbo pump work. its never overkill just more go fast

Progress, push rods are all installed. Primed the oil system, and installed the dizzy.
IMG_20130323_112338_229_zps0b722a10.jpg

IMG_20130323_112327_117_zpsc0c7f7a9.jpg

IMG_20130323_112349_933_zps62bea807.jpg

Got the block sealed yesterday. I had 2 sets of fel-pro intake gaskets, matched them up and used the larger set. Slapped the GT-40 lower on. Also go the harmonic balancer on.

IMG_20130327_164539_234_zps11772607.jpg

IMG_20130327_164551_686_zpse066e297.jpg

Also got my new Valeo clutch today.
IMG_20130328_100714_200_zps9bfae2e6.jpg

Degreased and pressure washed the bellhousing today. Also removed the rubber bushings from my new trans crossmember to prepare for paint.

Before pics:
IMG_20130409_143402_427_zpsdec256f0.jpg

IMG_20130409_151456_095_zpse194852a.jpg

I got my dust cover in the mail today. Will have to scrub it clean, I let it go with the motor when i sold it forgetting the one on the 351w was for an AOD trans.
IMG_20130411_095309_493_zps1ca9663f.jpg

Went to NAPA yesterday to pick up my Fel-Pro rear main seal for the 351w, bought the most expensive one i could. Hope it stays leak free for a long time. Also found out Valvoline synthetic MERC ATF was on sale! From $6.97 a bottle down to $4.49! So i picked up 3 quarts.

Here is the progress from this past weekend. Not much due to an issue i ran into. Engine is in the car. We did some spot cleaning with degreaser in the engine bay and it looks a lot better (pic really doesn't represent it). Found out flex plate bolts are a lot shorter than fly wheel bolts!! I need to get a set from NAPA.

I unfortunately stripped a few threads form one of the crank holes! But i think i will be ok, i didn't even think about this stupid me!

Also got the new rear main in.

Well ive been trying to aquire new flywheel bolts. Not having much luck in exactly what i want. I ended up stripping about 4 threads in 1 crank hole out of the 6 holes due to me not realizing the big difference in depths of flywheel and felx plate bolts. I found a set of ARP bolts that measure 1'' in length, my current ones measure about 1/2'' to 3/4'' at most. So i am going to take it easy with that one hole, but i did order the set. For anyone needing to know the size is 7/16-20. Ordered from summit so hopefully these will be here by this Saturday when i expect to progress more. Hoping for the best out of this situation.

I also looked into other fasteners at hiawatha fasteners. I saw grades of flywheel bolts ranging from grade 8-10. But the head on a normal bolt is not as large in diameter as a true flywheel bolt which had me worried. Hiawatha fasteners didnt stock anything over grade 8 but could order them.

The dealer bolts measure just over .9'' in length, but will need to be ordered and cost almost $7 a piece.

Yesterday was beautiful here, out crusing in the Wrangler made me really wish the car was done and i was cruising in it!

Got the transmission cross member painted last night. Blue paint came off fairly easily with a wire wheel. Rubbed it all down with a cleaning agent, then painted with Eastwood chassis satin black.

Also sanded and painted the coolant tube. Used high temp primer then high temp black.

Get er fired up Mike!

I cant wait!

Won the Maximum Motorsports clutch cable off Ebay last night! Pretty happy for $59.99, plus a steep shipping price of $15, but still less than what i could have spent.

All i currently need is a new trans mount, thermostat gasket and fuel line to extend my fuel rail.

just be patient, if you rush it now you'll regret it later as you'll compromise quality/fit/finish to get it done in a hurry. you'll regret it later

Back