• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1988 c1500 Silverado speedometer recalibration

Malcom Kelley

Reaction score
384 Nickajack Trace South Pittsburg. Tn. 37380
Good morning, looking for info on the specifics of recalibration, I have purchased a DIP switch and the necessary tools needed. My concern is destroying the circuit board therefore I would like to fine a GOOD shop that would do this for me. I have the unit removed and can deliver to a shop. I am 30 miles west of Chattanooga,Tn. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Malcom

Uniquediesel.com
Having someone learn how is not generally money saved long term. 2 years from now on a rough trail road and then a failed solder eats up the $ savings real quick.
If you find a local electronics shop that will offer a long warranty, make sure they know it is for a truck. Most only warranty if the electronic device sits in an office somewhere.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Iirc 88 has it built into the back of the cluster. Also, if it is reading off, is it because of a gear ratio or tire change, or has it started reading furthur off over time? The reason I ask is G has a well known issue with there electric tachs and speedos that used air cores where the resistor that calibrates them fails over time. This can make the guage read incorrectly even though it is receiving the correct signal. For a speedo this can be checked by seeing if the odometer still reads correctly or not. If the odometer is correct but speedo is not, then the calibration resistor has failed and needs repaired. Just trying to help you diagnose an issue before you spend money, and the cluster completely stops working on you afterwards.

Heres how you modify a mooney cluster for dip switches.
http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/258562

Back