• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1982 k30, sticking around

Leroy had put that engine in his burb. got good mpg but he said it would shake his teeth out. i wanted to buy it off of him when he yanked it but didn't have the money at the time.

What overdrive is in the plans?

Leaning towards a ranger overdrive unit. Got my hands on a sm465 trans for nothing so the ranger would pair nicely with that and it covers the gap between 3rd/4th. Unless a nv4500/zf6 pops up for sub $1600 as 4x4 and in good condition (hahaha).

The 6.2/6.5 are ok motors but I like low end torque which isn't their strong rpm range even with mods. Plus the even better fuel economy/reliability and ease of working on inline engines are worth it to me. As far as cost it's about even for my plans when it comes to engine specific mods. 6.2 would have gotten timing gears, fluid damper, ARP head studs (possibly main), Banks manifolds/plumbing. 4bd needs the transmission adapter, maybe have injectors for more performance.

When the 6.2 comes out I'll be selling it cheap with it's donor 6.2.

I remember Leroy's thread on the 4bd2t in his suburban, lots of good info there. This engine is the 4bd1t, basically the same engine except the 1t is direct injection compared to the 2t being IDI. 2t is a little quieter and the 1t holds up to performance upgrades much better. Motor mounts will be something to play with to get minimum vibration. These mounts are for the 1st gen Dodge with the 6bt, supposedly it made for little vibration but might go with hydraulic mounts when it goes in.

The plan is to get the 4bd1t and transmission ready to go on a stand first and hopefully do the swap late next summer. The m816 wrecker has some big projects (low cost, lots of labor) that take priority first. 4bd is sitting nice and dry inside the trailer for now.

IMG_20171127_150504264.jpg

Correct the low end TQ isn't there vs. other diesels and then the GMx chokes it in the upper RPM. Drop a high stall converter behind a "decent turbo" 6.2 and then Good Luck keeping rear tires on it! I guess I am burnt out on projects myself and would rather see the other projects you have get attention...

The m816 wrecker? There is plenty that it has coming before the 4bd1t goes into the pickup hahaha. It's projects are also much more labor intensive. When the bed swap mod is done to it (planned this winter) that opens the door to alot of projects for it. Pickup has very little projects planned for it, the engine/trans swap is by far it's biggest. Have to space projects out though, one or 2 phases at a time.

For me maximum rpm is 2600 (besides motorcycles), even if a engine will happily do more. It doesn't sit right with me when engines over 1 liter are spinning over that. Yes I know the 6.2 will happily spin over that but you will never get me to comfortably and happily drive mine for extended periods like that. I like to cruise on the highway at 1800-2200rpm. 6.2 doesn't like that range, 4bd does. And dollar for dollar as mentioned above, it's the same cost for me to either build the 6.2 or swap/build the 4bd.

Been making multiple scrap runs with the pickup. Each load so far has been right around 2000 pounds with the only problem being the worn out/and a few broken rear springs. Going off the scale at the scrap yard the truck weighs 6760, and has a max weight rating of 10,000, so technically a 3240 lb payload capability.

That locked up engine is a multifuel from my old m35a2.

IMG_20171130_162227812_HDR.jpg

What are you getting per pound down there?
I dont know how much per pound the scrap is bringing over there but, I do know the guy that used to run the scrap yard over here would haul all of the scrap He took in over to Utah.
I would sy that He is getting way more per pound than We ever would over here.

Looks like lost a few comments (website glitch I guess).

Took another load of scrap today, 2380 pounds between 2 axles with no shafts. For the rear leaf springs being done (worn out driver side, 3 broken on passenger) it's holding the weight well. Need to be replaced though. 1 more load of scrap to go.

IMG_20171205_133010964.jpg

Did some wiring on the truck. Glow plug controller gave up the ghost so wired in a push button switch to the solenoid. Simple, reliable, effective, cheap.

Also wired up the bed winch. Used some 4/0 cable I had lying around (WWWAAAAAAYYYYYYY overkill but works great hahaha). For now still using the standard plug in winch controller but thinking of wiring it into a dash switch eventually.

Quick project built today, the cargo skid. Once the roller is added to the end of the bed I'll be able to secure items to the skid, then use the bed winch to load/unload the skid onto the truck. The skid is going to live kind of a rough life so no plans to make it fancy.

Used 2 8ft sections of frame rail from the old military dump truck to serve as the bottom supports, and a crossmember to be the front lift point that the winch will attach to. The 2 steel pallets are there to provide a platform to easily lay whatever cargo onto it. Those pallets are tack welded onto the frame rails. Going to add some tie down points along the outside edges of the frame rails.

IMG_20171214_124409143.jpg IMG_20171214_141114360.jpg IMG_20171214_144534401.jpg

Just got back from a trip to St George, Utah again. Loaded up some 60kw generators that were sold and 1 10kw gen as well. Complete 60kw is about 4300 lbs, the 10kw is a little over 1000 lbs. Both trucks were around 17-19k.

The 60kw remains that are on the bed are missing the engine but the actual generator is inside the box, so 2-3k pounds.

IMG_20180106_100529673.jpg IMG_20180106_100541675.jpg IMG_20180106_100554937.jpg

The little bed winch is very useful. Need to either build a tail roller for the bed or thinking of just welding a piece of pipe to the end of the bed for the cable to slide over. Won't be lifting heavy for the winch and not used on a commercial regular basis so should be fine.

IMG_20180114_135145850_HDR.jpg

The little bed winch is very useful. Need to either build a tail roller for the bed or thinking of just welding a piece of pipe to the end of the bed for the cable to slide over. Won't be lifting heavy for the winch and not used on a commercial regular basis so should be fine.

View attachment 51564
When I made the tail roll for the 59 W100, I split a piece of pipe in half and welded that to the end of the bed. Works mighty good.
I have an old Belleview 6,000 pound winch mounted behind the cab.

Couple hundred pounds worth of oddly shaped scrap loaded up today. Pulled off everything that is useful to me (the suspension bushings are shot)

IMG_20180127_160915468.jpg

Nice snow action, anyone have trouble navigating in the snow?

Couple did mostly due to air pressure. Utah gets nice fluffy snow powder so it's not a ice sheet right off the bat haha. Oddly enough the dually did great in the snow for having open diffs front/rear. 20psi on the 4 outer tires and only had issues at a handful of obstacles (very familiar with the trail we were on).

Video one of the other guys took from his drone of the trip.

Back