• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1982 6.2 Marine Engines with Paragone Power PM 20L transmissions

spdgofast

Reaction score
Hey guys, I came across a couple of these 6.2 marine engines for sale locally. I was told they were 6.5 Peninsular engines so it had my interest since if that were true they could have DB2833 series injection pumps with the sought after .330 plunger head & rotor. So I went and looked but they are 1982 6.2 blocks with Stanadyne DB2829 pumps, they have Paragone Power model PM20L marine transmissions on them. Are these things worth anything? Supposedly they run good with only 450 hours but I would highly doubt the hour statement given the year. The only thing is they are not all rusted up like most marine engines, especially here in south florida salt water region. There are tags that say "HYDROFORCE DIESEL MARINE ENGINES" on the front of the marine heat exchange tank. If any of you are familiar with my troubles with injection pumps lately will understand why I'm sourcing all of the .330 plunger marine pumps I can find.

I would price it as scrap if I couldn't run them loaded... marine motors rot from the inside out...
Freshwater cooled engines do not, only raw water cooled engines rot from the inside out, and he says they have heat exchangers so they're freshwater cooled. That said, in the marine industry, the 6.2/6.5 is barely worth scrap. Several bought them because they replaced a big block as a virtual bolt in swap, but as we all know, the 6.2/6.5 is a good light duty diesel, and earned a NASTY reputation in the marine industry. They simply did not hold up in marine use being pushed to 100% load on a regular basis, and most were not maintained very well either exaggerating there downfalls.

I agree with you Ferm not that Chris is wrong either it just really depends on the use, environment and maintenance as we all know. I made a couple of call on the transmissions and I'm told they were only made for a short time and were junk. Would that make them worth something if they were operational as parts? I'm told a lot of parts are not available for them. Let's not forget everything here is 37 years old. But with said I'm surprised at the external condition for the age, And I did peak at the rockers through a breather hole in a valve cover and it looked very clean, no sludge etc. Also I read that the 1982 blocks had a one year only production head that had coarse thread injectors, I have not pulled one of those as of yet. I will call the scrap yard and see what they pay, I'm guessing 250 per engine without tranny, but that may even be on the high side by $100.00. Pump cores are $150.00 @ Pensacola Diesel if you are buying one of their rebuilds but on the open core market they are probably $75.00 I would imagine.

Boy was I wrong, I got offered $30.00 apiece for each motor. If I could buy them for that I think I could get my money back, but that's not going to happen.

Back