• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

162K miles 01 LB7, too many?

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I've found a mostly complete wrecked donor for a project with 162K on the clock. Is this too many? What should I do to it if I was going to use it for a transplant? It is supposed to have been run stock all of it's life, and the only repairs were injectors at 30K and several fuel filters. I'm about ready to make the plunge and swap out my old 6.5 for modern power, and think the 01-02 LB7 would be easiest. I know about injector issues with them as well, just don't want to swap in an engine that will give me as much trouble as the one I am taking out.

I think the motors were solid other than some with injector issues. Thats not bad mileage though. How much for it?

I've found a mostly complete wrecked donor for a project with 162K on the clock. Is this too many? What should I do to it if I was going to use it for a transplant? It is supposed to have been run stock all of it's life, and the only repairs were injectors at 30K and several fuel filters. I'm about ready to make the plunge and swap out my old 6.5 for modern power, and think the 01-02 LB7 would be easiest. I know about injector issues with them as well, just don't want to swap in an engine that will give me as much trouble as the one I am taking out.

just rebuild it when you get it and put in new injectors/cups and add a extra fuel filtration like fass or airdog. then you will be set. 162k really is not a lot though, so if money is tight I would just get it in there and run it like it is.

The truck is actually over close to UNIT453. It was wrecked, he hit a tree with the left front of the truck and folded the fender and hood in and also took out the radiator and intercooler. He also said the fender extensions in the back are broken apart like most all of them. He told me over the phone(I haven't seen it yet) that it is pretty well loaded out with every option, and if he can't get $6K for it he'll keep it. The price isn't really that bad, I was just hoping to find something with 120K or less on the clock. I figured that a set of headgaskets, seals and injectors would be in order. As well as a SUNCOAST stage 3 or 4 with a triple disk converter for longevity. The only real problem with this set-up is the transfer case, I need a floor shift and thgis one is pushbutton. I'm still kicking myself for missing an 02 engine, tranny, T-case with harness and controllers for $3K earlier in the week.

I've found a couple of LLY's, but they look to sit a bit higher and I know the LB7 will be a tight fit as is.

If you get a chance to get an LLY, I would do that in a heart beat. I would get the newest generation you can afford. And at stock power levels, there's really no need for a built trans. In stock form, they can take quite a whippen and have proven to last a very long time. If you're planning on tuning this motor, then I can understand your want for a Suncoast.

I have 245k miles on my truck, stock tranny and a mild EFI Live tune....runs good all the time, I like the truck and if I could find another donor truck for 6k I would consider it.

As far as the tranny goes I figured I would be money ahead to have it built while it is apart. I don't need but stock power, but neither does anybody else here. I have a feeling knowing me that if I put a capable engine under the hood and have EFILIVE at my disposal(would have to have either EFILIVE or a PPE to make it work anyways), chances are the HP bug will bite me.

As for which generation to run, I figured the LB7 would be the easiest to convert over and make work. The injectors do bother me, but the LLY looks to be a bit taller and the LBZ's intake heater definately looks like it would interfere with the hood closing and require a body lift. I want to try and keep it as close to a stock looking rig as possible. I would prefer to keep my dash and cluster and adapt everything to make it work. If I went with a 2003 or newer I believe I will have problems making the gear indicator work in my cluster as well as maybe some other electrical issues in the interlinking of the 2.

As far as the tranny goes I figured I would be money ahead to have it built while it is apart. I don't need but stock power, but neither does anybody else here. I have a feeling knowing me that if I put a capable engine under the hood and have EFILIVE at my disposal(would have to have either EFILIVE or a PPE to make it work anyways), chances are the HP bug will bite me.

As for which generation to run, I figured the LB7 would be the easiest to convert over and make work. The injectors do bother me, but the LLY looks to be a bit taller and the LBZ's intake heater definately looks like it would interfere with the hood closing and require a body lift. I want to try and keep it as close to a stock looking rig as possible. I would prefer to keep my dash and cluster and adapt everything to make it work. If I went with a 2003 or newer I believe I will have problems making the gear indicator work in my cluster as well as maybe some other electrical issues in the interlinking of the 2.

the LLY and LB7 are almost identical in dimensions. I would get an LLY over the LB7 only for the injector issue. But either will work great. Would you rebuild the tranny yourself to stage 3/4 specs? Thats still a pricey thing, While it is out you could just put a transgo shift kit in and a better tc. I would also slap on a deep pan and switch to either transynd or amsoil and replace the internal filter. On the electrical issues, if you have the complete truck, cant you just swap everything over? Hell you could prob even use the gauge cluster!

I'm trying to avoid swapping anything in the interior. I want the SUBURBAN to look as stock as possible for 95 except for the DURAMAX/ALLISON stickers I would put on the doors:D. I've seen a few done in the older body style, but they were all LB7's. The LLY looks a little taller from pics, but I haven't been able to physically measure the differences yet.

It is tight but here is a 2WD with no body lift and a LB7 and ALLISON squeezed in there.
gordonmarks01.jpg

And the famous one from the page.
project2-1612.jpg

atstrans06.jpg

I'm trying to avoid swapping anything in the interior. I want the SUBURBAN to look as stock as possible for 95 except for the DURAMAX/ALLISON stickers I would put on the doors:D. I've seen a few done in the older body style, but they were all LB7's. The LLY looks a little taller from pics, but I haven't been able to physically measure the differences yet.

It is tight but here is a 2WD with no body lift and a LB7 and ALLISON squeezed in there.
gordonmarks01.jpg

And the famous one from the page.
project2-1612.jpg

atstrans06.jpg

Personally I like the LB7 the best of all the editions, mainly due to the lack of emissions controls and the excellent mileage compared to the LLY. But as far as reliability the LLY may be the best choice..... I say buy the truck, rip it apart, get a cutting torch and hacksaw and a welder and make that bitch fit!

I've always heard that the LB7's got the best mileage so far but I dont really see how. I had an LLY for 3 years and that was a good truck and best I got was right around 19 mpg at highway speeds ~70mph. Other than the injector harness issues which are easily fixed, I would think the extra 85 lb ft of torque would be worth it.

And even with emissions controls, you cant go wrong with any of the generation engines. We all know now that we can defeat the electronics of the LMM's, which are basically an LB7 with different tuning. You can run LB7's, LLY's and LBZ's without cats and not have problems either.

This is a good project. Furman, do you have an address by me where this engine is located at? I could take a look at it for you if you want.

Back