• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

14 bolt yoke upgrade

Do you use this for heavy throttle mud runs or rock crawling?
if not, probably not a big deal.

I have been wheeling Jeeps for several years now and I'm mainly into rock crawling. It's not uncommon to loose a strap when dragging the pinon across a few rocks. I run ubolts on my Ford 9" and HP44 for my Jeep.

If its just on the street, I wouldnt worry about it unless your drag racing it.

Do you use this for heavy throttle mud runs or rock crawling?
if not, probably not a big deal.

I have been wheeling Jeeps for several years now and I'm mainly into rock crawling. It's not uncommon to loose a strap when dragging the pinon across a few rocks. I run ubolts on my Ford 9" and HP44 for my Jeep.

If its just on the street, I wouldnt worry about it unless your drag racing it.

gotcha- thanks!

I've never broken straps when I drove my jeep, but I did brake a yoke once, twisted a used rear driveshaft (2-3 turns), went through 2 more rear driveshafts, and found out on one run that my spring mounts weren't welded to the axles (that's a fun surprise when trying to make it up a steep slope....nothing like a shaft sliding out)

:thumbsup::D been reading the bible? I love that thing.

I've never known anyone to have broken the straps with normal use either. Don't know anyone personally that bounces their 14 bolt off of rocks though.

I have stretched straps and thrown caps on my 14 bolt more than once just by being a throttle junkie........ of course I have also bent my share of push rods and thrown atleast 1 rod and floated the valves more than once and I have never been drag racing ....... on a track ;)

:thumbsup::D been reading the bible? I love that thing.

I've never known anyone to have broken the straps with normal use either. Don't know anyone personally that bounces their 14 bolt off of rocks though.

got me confused...haha. I have been trying to read the Word more, then I realized you mean the 14 Bolt bible, haha. I was told it was uncommon to break a yoke on a jeep axle (Dana 30??) - that the u-joint or straps were supposed to go first...but I had some stranger telling me to mash the pedal on a rock hill, and it was my first time...so I regretfully listened. Thankfully I was near the top and somehow managed to make it the rest of the way in front wheel drive...but I had to park and ride with my buddy in his 1 ton yj.

My take is the only thing you gain from using the u bolts is the ease of changing them out when they break. With the bolts you may end up with one stuck in the threads, with a u bolt you could just push the piece out.

I'm running one in the BURB, but I mainly did it as I wanted to upgrade the shaft to 1410 U-joints at both ends.

Back