• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

12 conversion

This is from that dust bin known as my memory, most of the electronics on that rig are already 12 volts with the exception of the starter and components on the engine itself and military harness for things military to pug into everything else is 12 volt.......lots of info on the web about that too........

If you haven’t already bought your 12volt starter & alternator - I would strongly suggest powermaster.

There simply is no better starter for the 6.2/6.5 than the powermaster 9052. Make sure you have a front bracket on there regardless of which starter you choose, many blocks have been ruined from not having one.

I am assuming the schematic is wanted not just to id each component as you go but to have for future reference in repairs.

Is there instructions in the mil manual that references converting to 12v? I cant imagine. I have mil manuals for Willy’s which was 6v and hmmwv deuce and a half which was 24v and nothing in them about it. Heck the deuce manual didn’t even explain using multi fuels it was rated for. Just expected to be know by operation.

Short list to convert from 24-12 volt if the wiring hasn't been hacked up already.

Swap the starter for a 12 volt unit.
Remove the wire between the batteries and set the batts up in parallel. Personally I'd recommend run the wires directly to the 2 electric buss bars on the firewall (lower one is ground, upper/longer one is positive).
There's a large resister on the firewall directly behind the engine, it runs to the glow plug relay. Remove that resister and just run a new wire from the positive buss bar to the glow plug relay.

That's it. Each alternator is 12 volt and charges the individual battery it's connected to.

Back