• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

-11F (without wind chill) and it fired right up!

Mike Mead

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the advice on my Suburban. After the new PMD it runs great and the stalling issue is gone. Its pretty cold up here today, -11F when I went to start the Sub this morning and it fired right up!

I was happy to let my buddies know who were giving me a hard time about the cold starting and general reliability issues of the 6.5! Now I just need to fix the clunk in the front suspension.

Thanks again,

Mike

Thats great Mike nice to hear all`s well......:thumbsup:

(except for the clunk)

Thanks to everyone for the advice on my Suburban. After the new PMD it runs great and the stalling issue is gone. Its pretty cold up here today, -11F when I went to start the Sub this morning and it fired right up!

I was happy to let my buddies know who were giving me a hard time about the cold starting and general reliability issues of the 6.5! Now I just need to fix the clunk in the front suspension.

Thanks again,

Mike

Last edited:

Thanks again,

Mike

Check out the Stabilizer linkage by shocks. Check for a broken/missing one. GM Trucks are common for these to blow out. Besides that check all your balljoints/tierods for slop. Jack it up and shake it around.

Thats an impressive feat, I remember my old 6.5 -18 without the wind chill one day, fired right up on the first glow plug cycle I couldnt beleive it. That was right after I changed the oil though ran Rotella synthetic, but after 1000 miles of driving the oil would get thick enough that it wouldnt start until the temps were above 15 degrees, unless I plugged it in. Getting into the truck after work sure was a gamble...:mad2:

I'm going to bring it in to have the front end looked at. Its too cold to be jacking up the car and laying on my back for any length of time!

I just took my truck in yesterday, to pass inspection it needed idler arm, steering damper was shot, pitman arm and both inner tie rods. Stuff that never got greased as often as the balljoints and outer tierods that I worry about more and hit everytime I have my greasegun out.

Thought it was just the idler arm, after jacking it and checking it at home, but no such luck. Can't really complain too much, it just turned 164k and nothings been done.

As for starting at -11, that's amazing. Mine won't start much below 15f above. I have two big Diehards, recent 60gs, good alt and fuel heater. Don't know if maybe I've got wiring issues on a couple of glowplugs or something maybe. Fortunately I was able to get my block heater fixed last night. Course, both my outside outlets have problems, so I had to throw the cord out a window and close it on a towel. How ghetto is that?

that much slop in rest of system I'd be looking at the bearing assemblies, remember just before Thanksgiving, I replaced all same stuff 160K on the truck and front axle bearings went shortly after I "freshened up" rest of steering removing slop there finished off the slop in bearings evidently, if you get a front ABS sensor code it's probably making metal on the bearing and soon will go

Last edited:
Well, to top that it started on the first glow plug cycle this morning and its
-21F here today (no wind chill). I am having another issue though, the truck is losing coolant. I filled it last Saturday and its already back down again. I'm hoping to god that its not a head gasket, hopefully just a leak with the cold weather but who knows.

-10f(wind chill was -27f) here this morning...at 6:30am the burb lit right off....run a little rough till i hit the manual glow button a few times!!...

Is the manual glow plug thing something that you put in? Mine does that automatically on cold starts, it will cycle the gp's on and off a few times for the first few seconds once I have it running.

Mike

that much slop in rest of system I'd be looking at the bearing assemblies, remember just before Thanksgiving, I replaced all same stuff 160K on the truck and front axle bearings went shortly after I "freshened up" rest of steering removing slop there finished off the slop in bearings evidently, if you get a front ABS sensor code it's probably making metal on the bearing and soon will go

If you look at his signature he has a K3500. I think they used a different style bearing in the 3500s.

As easily as this truck starts I'm really starting to have problems. It was -26 this morning and it started on the first cycle. However, once it was going it smoked like crazy and has been going through a lot of coolant. Once its warmed up the smoking almost goes away, although its hard to tell when its this cold what is smoke and what is steam.

Furthermore, once I got close to work this morning the "check gauges" dash light came on and I noticed that I had low oil pressure. I'm starting to wonder if this thing is more trouble than its worth.

As easily as this truck starts I'm really starting to have problems. It was -26 this morning and it started on the first cycle. However, once it was going it smoked like crazy and has been going through a lot of coolant. Once its warmed up the smoking almost goes away, although its hard to tell when its this cold what is smoke and what is steam.

Furthermore, once I got close to work this morning the "check gauges" dash light came on and I noticed that I had low oil pressure. I'm starting to wonder if this thing is more trouble than its worth.

Not good, classic 6.5 head gasket symptoms you are describing there, have you looked at oil is it milky from water dilution

No, not yet I figured it was a head gasket just based on the symptoms. I've owned this truck for 10 days and already had the PMD fail, a head gasket go (presumably), I have a clunk in the front suspension and now I have low oil pressure to boot. Wow.

Any idea what I'm looking at for cost on a head gasket replacement? The dealer told me he would do the repair at cost if that was the problem.

We do have a lemon law, but it was an as-is buy as far as I know. I spoke to the dealer and the best offer he could make was to have his guys make the repair and pass on the cost. I'm checking with the DOT though, and will file a complaint against the dealer (its a big dealer).

Maybe a quicky with a lawyer. Some states don't allow *as is* through a dealer - Just private sales. Don't know about WI though.

Back