• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1 Million miles 1997 6.5 Diesel

I agree long trips are key to being able to last really high miles. And he probably has a easy and smooth driving style too he is probably pretty easy take offs not many full pedal romps to pass etc.

A lot of people won't drive a million miles because they just don't drive that much. I think excess mileage for SC is over 15,000 or 20,000 miles a year (if you apply for reduced taxes due to high mileage) . At 15,000 miles a year it would take 66.6 years to reach a million miles.

He is averaging 58.8K miles a year.

I have about 233K miles on clock of my 1997 so its averaged about 13.7K miles a year. I have dropped off last 4-5 years driving the kids in the minivan so some years were higher.

Just for fun thinking about it ..... if averaging 50 miles an hour 1,000,000 miles is 20,000 hours, at 6 hrs / day that is 3,333 days or 9.1 years of road time.

He followed up with another email

"
FORGOT,

Bob got it's 4 hub caps stolen right in front of me at the Norsemen Motel in CAMROSE ALBERTA in May - 2008, I was lucky enough to stumbled on the Robber that he told me if you want anything on this truck, just take it because this trucks owner is probably still sleeping, it was 6 am Alberta time and I told him that no, I was the owner and he got up and he was nearly 6.6 and was going to swing at me with his bar, so to de fuse the situation I told him that if he needed them more then me was just to take them and he did. It took the beauty right out of the truck, anyways they are still missing

Reynald

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:36 AM, Reynald Gauthier wrote:
IMPORTANT, I FORGOT TO MENTION,

Bob turned 1,500,000 kms on APRIL 12 - 2014, coming thru CHURCH BRIGDE SASKATCHEWAN, and made it to the first page of THE AUTOMOTIVE SECTION OF THE WINNIPEG FREE PRESS on APRIL 25 - 2014.

Regards, Reynald R.J. Gauthier

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:26 AM, Reynald Gauthier wrote:
Good morning Leroy,

I forgot to mention to you that my truck has also been in the United States in 2003, and together me and Bob went thru the states of North and South Dakota, Iowa,Omoha City Nebraska, and stop for supper at the FRONT STREET STEAKHOUSE & CRYSTAL PALACE SALOON in OGALLALA NEBRASKA were the movie LONESOME DOVE was produce, Also Bob started to overheat when starting to climb the rockies,at Denver Colorado, went thru Utah, Nevada, and were it started to heat on the Las Vegas Strip an drove to HOLLYWOOD CALIFORNIA to go and see THE PRICE IS RIGHT SHOW on APRIL 26 - 2007, the day of my 41 birthday were BOB MET BOB lol"

Impressive! That's 1,276,000 km or 792,870 miles on the engine. We will call it 4 lifetimes on the engine.

Again cracks killing the engine not wear. Start up wear on engines is significant vs. engines started once and run all day. Got lucky that the head gaskets held and part of that is constant temperature vs. start/stop cool down heat cycles.

Curious how often the engine oil was changed?

In one of the fleets I wrenched on, we had several trucks break a million, there are several things I'm surprised he isn't mentioning.

It is amazing the difference between drivers, that's the biggest thing I learned working there.

Back