• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

(09/24/09) Do you use a GPS in your truck?

(09/24/09) Do you use a GPS in your truck?

• No - I don't need some electronic do-dad to tell me where to go...

Votes: 24 31.2%
  • Yes - occasionally

Votes: 31 40.3%
  • Yes - all the time

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • WTH is a GPS??

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I don't have a truck, only opinions...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
We bought a Magellan... and it does OK. I didn't realize how much we rely upon it when in unfamiliar territory until we found ourselves in southern Indiana without our GPS and without a map. Man, I felt completely lost.

Yes I have it for when I go out of town. I still use and like maps. I have a collection of older maps. I am still looking for an older map of Nevada where you still could see the Lake of Area 51

I use my Garmin GPS daily...everyday I'm all over town working and it works so well I don't even have a map book anymore.
If it got stolen or broke, I'd have a new one immediately. It's just so easy...and I love taking directions from a woman...):h

nope. dont have one, and dont want one. CB radio and a good old cheep map gets me anywhere I need to go

Factory nav on the Avalanche. I zoom out to get bearings, then zoom in when approaching destination. Punching in/locating the address became easier when I learned to select "City" first, then the "Street." Much much better than using MapQuest.com or RandMcNally.com.

MapQuest.com or RandMcNally.com on Tahoe (when it was running).

nope. dont have one, and dont want one. CB radio and a good old cheap map gets me anywhere I need to go

Yes GPS used here;

Justin how do you think the "sunshine brigade" made it's way to you, I've navigated all parts of the globe, by map, compass, "as crow flies directions given by locals-go to big tree turn left etc.", crossed Germany going West after my map ran out covering the part of Germany I was in; following the sun driving to Belgium where my next map picked up getting me to the job site.

Also you haven't experienced real navigation until you have drivern in European fashion, they don't say go North on I-75 etc., it's take the A-47 in direction of the next big city, well lah-dee-dah suppose you have no clue where that is and until recently not rhyme or reason to numbering of highways like in US odd# are N/S and evens are E/W eventually.

Ever been to Asia, try to read the signs there 2600 characters possibilities in their "alphabet soup" that could be put on a highway sign that to the novice eye all look the same. Russian/east Europe/Arabic is no better, Greek/Turk slightly better but not by much, boy how do I wish I had GPS back in my heavy travel days.

Hands down GPS is only way to go these days, and CB forget it, half time with advent of cell phones you can't get anybody to answer up as they are too busy talking on phones, or person on other end of the radio is just as lost as you are.

The only time I use GPS is at the firestation. It is great for bringing in Airmedevac. Or we use it to try to find lost hunters in the state game lands. Works pretty good IF the lsot hunter has a cell phone cause when he dials 911 it gives dispatch his GPS location then we put in goto location and start walkin......

I have a tom tom and it gets me around northern Ontario very well when I pull the trail to go camping...
I have to admit you do loose an ability I used to only ever have to find a place once and I could get back but last summer on Vacation in Prince Edward Island I had to take some one to the Air port in Charlet town and I need my GPS to get back to were I was because I stop paying attention to land marks....

PS try driving through Montreal with out one.... Even better if it tells you what lane to be in for the next exit.

...another point I didn't mention is I feel it is much safer on the road. Once I plug in my destination I don't even have to take my eyes off the road.
It saves my driving attention for the cell phone...:rolleyes5:

Garmin Nuvi. Helps keep my eyes on the road and destresses the journey, need fuel, push a botton and find a station, need food, hospital, etc,,, just push a button or two and there it is. I like it :thumbsup:

Yes GPS used here;

Justin how do you think the "sunshine brigade" made it's way to you, I've navigated all parts of the globe, by map, compass, "as crow flies directions given by locals-go to big tree turn left etc.", crossed Germany going West after my map ran out covering the part of Germany I was in; following the sun driving to Belgium where my next map picked up getting me to the job site.

Also you haven't experienced real navigation until you have drivern in European fashion, they don't say go North on I-75 etc., it's take the A-47 in direction of the next big city, well lah-dee-dah suppose you have no clue where that is and until recently not rhyme or reason to numbering of highways like in US odd# are N/S and evens are E/W eventually.

Ever been to Asia, try to read the signs there 2600 characters possibilities in their "alphabet soup" that could be put on a highway sign that to the novice eye all look the same. Russian/east Europe/Arabic is no better, Greek/Turk slightly better but not by much, boy how do I wish I had GPS back in my heavy travel days.

Hands down GPS is only way to go these days, and CB forget it, half time with advent of cell phones you can't get anybody to answer up as they are too busy talking on phones, or person on other end of the radio is just as lost as you are.
So true. I use the one on my Sprint phone and for the most part, it's done me well. Occasionally wrong though.
We bought a Magellan... and it does OK. I didn't realize how much we rely upon it when in unfamiliar territory until we found ourselves in southern Indiana without our GPS and without a map. Man, I felt completely lost.

You made to my house didn't ya. I guess that's where the OK comes into play huh?):h):h):h
I still want my dang baseball from your brother.:icon_bs:

I have a TOM TOM one xl and it has help me find things that I may not have found without it. When I was in Georgia a month ago there was a miss direction from it that was 5.3 miles in wrong direction. I was on the correct road the but wrong end. So I have paper maps also.

Ozzie, which Garmin do you have and have you had simular problems?

Magellan 1200 I like it, but I need one that I can update. I also use google maps on my Blackberry,although it seems to think I need to see every neighborhood in town.

Back