• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

07 LBZ - P0621 & P0403 Codes Set

Jasondt2001

Lead Slacker
Reaction score
Well it finally happened to me... It's been my turn for quite a while and I've gotten lucky.

Driving down to the ranch to clean up my trailer I look down and my damn check engine light is on :wtf:
Wouldnt be so bad, but, my wife is going on a HUGE trail ride (it's call the memorial hospital womens ride... about 250 gals and horses - Freaking RODEO :thumbsup:).
I have to take the trailer to her on Friday so I can help her set up camp...this is the only truck we have, and all our friend's trucks are going to be hooked up to trailers going to the same ride.
Needless to say I was somewhat worried...

The dealership I REALLY liked closed on me (economy)... There's one here in town but it pissed me off a while back and now that's my only option. :mad2:
I call them, and a new guy answers the phone, I tell him I have a check engine light on and a few things that I'd like looked at. He says no problem, bring it in...

Well I ran the codes when I got home via EFI and I had the p0403 and the p0621... The 403 I was due for, everyone else has gotten theirs :)
The 621 I was confused about and had to look up...
"Generator - L-Terminal Circuit"

Hey, that's funny!! My truck since new, randomly will put on the DIC "Battery Not Charging" errors, and then in about a minute it will go away... It's very random, sometimes happens alot, other times I forget it does that.
The dealer has looked at EVERYTHING to fix it - I may finally get it fixed!!!:D
I'm STOKED :)

OH BY THE WAY; The guys at the new dealer, so far are GREAT!! They saw my gauges and I told them that I'm not running a tuner, I drive by the needles when I tow (Which is true, I do have EFI but I'm scared to death of changing things so I leave it stock and have a really expensive code reader...LOL) he just smiled and said, "No problem!":eek:
The dealer I LIKED drilled me.. LOL
So far, so good!

- Jason

Oh, the other two things I had them look into:
Power steering hose was leaking - Turns out it's the high side PS hose right at the 'clamp' that's leaking.
When making turns slow speeds with the steering wheel at the stops, and it hits a 'bump' or something, it makes a loose rattle type noise...like something rattling somewhere.

Funny you say that :)
From what I read it won't be the last time i run into that problem.
I guess I could just shut off the EGR Via efilive also but, i'm such a chicken :p

I don't mind turning wrench, it's when it comes to turning on the keyboard it gets me - This thing's to expensive to goof up :p

I dont really want to block mine either but if I had EFI, it would be turned off by now. Cant you just command it closed and disable all electronics going through it?

Yeah you can, but then, it's "Tuned" - Not TUNED but altered from what the factory put in and that's what scares me... I'm such a wuss!! :p

Jason- check the PCM harness and make sure it hasn't chaffed on the plastic fender liner. For some reason, I seem to remember someone having those weird charging system codes and it turned out to be the fender liner had rubbed a hole thorugh the wire insulation on the harness.

I dont really want to block mine either but if I had EFI, it would be turned off by now. Cant you just command it closed and disable all electronics going through it?

Yea, but any Boost above 25psi or so will still just Push it back Open.

I'll do that! Thank you for the tip, it sure would be nice to get it fixed.
Doesn't look like it'll happen at that dealership though...

Got the call a little earlier today...
I'm pretty mad.

First thing out of his mouth... "We had to run the carbon cleaning program. What this is it heats up the DPF above 800 degrees and burns off all the soot. We needed to burn off the soot because the computer said it was clogged".
STRIKE ONE
I then told him, well I don't know how you did that being my truck doesn't have a particulate filter. It's an 07 LBZ motor...
"Hmmm, let me call you right back..."
The phone call went to voicemail, he was very nice and said he screwed up, he meant the EGR valve was stuck and needed cleaned.
I called him back told him no sweat, accidents happen. He then told me the high pressure hose is covered under my extended warranty, need 100 bucks for the deductible and they'll take care of it. No problem I tell them.
He said the front brake rotors were warped and he'd have to send them out to be done. I told him not to worry about it.
He then asked if I wanted the brake system and power steering system flushed... 130 and 160 I believe it was.
So the grand total would be $560 plus the 100 dollar deductible.

I paused for a moment, grasped for a breath... I told him to forget the flushes what is my total?
He said he only charged me for 1/2 hour on the vehicle inspection (they did that because i said the brakes were squishy and sometime the front end rattled a bit) the cost w/out the flushes would be $270 plus the $100 deductible...
I said ok, and then I thought... I have 47k -isn't the under the emissions warranty??
He said no, it's not - they're cleaning it and he doesnt have a 'part' to bill it to so he couldn't get it covered.... I've worked in dealerships before, I KNOW you can cover a warranty procedure without billing the part out... I just say ok, do it.

I then think about it and realize the people I used to work for OWN a Chevy dealership... I called our old service writer there and asked her. She said it depended on my VIN number if it was the 36k or the 50k warranty... I said it was an 07 and she said she'd need the vin.
I told her nevermind, I had already told them to do the work - she said NO wait... Where is it? I'll call them... LOL
She said the dealer I'm at is new to GM and she knows my service writer so she'll just call him.

So now, I'm in the waiting period...

OHHHHHHHH - Also - remember the second code?

I asked him "Your tech only found one code? for some reason i thought you said 2"

He said "No, he only found the EGR code..."

I EFILIVED it the RIGHT before I took it to them, and that's where I got the code. Now I've also been lied to.

I asked the service writer at the Chevy dealership if they could take my GM and she said NO problem, if it becomes warranty they'll work it out.

I HATE that my old favorite dealer closed and I'm doing this now... At least at the new Chevy dealer I know most of the service staff andif they say I need something, I know I need it.

Yea, but any Boost above 25psi or so will still just Push it back Open.

Dang!! Thank you for telling me, sounds like I need to give Chad @ Alligator a call.

I'm tired of being a wuss, I have this $800 dollar programmer and even stock I almost wrote a check NEAR that to fix a problem I could have fixed via tuning.

This bitch is getting flashed - If I have to pay for it i might as well enjoy it ;)

LOL - I thought I had it bad... read this http://www.justanswer.com/questions/1ywdj-y-po401-code-keep-poping-duramax

Guy asked about his EGR code and why it comes up - The "Expert" said: "Welcome. This could be from a couple of reasons. The first is if you have aftermarket exhaust. It can cause the issue of the code. More often we put a calibration update in the ECM that seems to correct most of these. This will need to be done at a dealer. "

This is typical dealer b.s. They charge you an arm and a leg, have no clue what it is that they're working on, lie to you, and misdiagnose your work.

My EGR was throwing 1 code so I kept clearing it. Then 2. Then eventually 3. The truck ran great actually. I guess it had completely malfunctioned. I floored it before I got to the dealership to feel what a stock truck felt like again. Well, it had so much power, I had to plug my programmer back in just to make sure I'm not retarded and didnt correctly load the stock tune back in. Anyways, it was replaced, not cleaned. This is a common problem with 3rd gens so I dont see what the big deal is.

Ok - Update....

Earlier in the day the service advisor from the Chevy dealer that I called for a second opinion called and told me that it IS under warranty and asked if I had talked to my first service advisor yet.
I told her he had not called, she chuckled and said that she told him it was under warranty and to call her if he had any questions. I guess they just bought this GM dealer that my truck is at and wasn't aware how to properly code the warranty so I think (this is an assumption, i'll never know) that it was easier to customer pay that portion... All they had to do was run the VIN she said and it would have come up as a covered item under emissions...

Well i finally had to call and ask about my truck at 5:30, he stated she had let him know what was going on and it was warranted and they've ordered the power steering hose to be in tomorrow. I thanked him and now i await... :)

I'm going to start taking my truck to that Chevy dealer, I don't blame people for mistakes, but, first they 'couldn't find' the other code it threw and then when I ASKED him about warranty he said it's not covered only to be straightened out by another dealership... I just don't feel comfortable with that.

So when do you get it back? Did they offer you a loaner? I got offered a loaner for my leaky tranny lines. Totally unexpected.

lol, no, I think the only thing I'll be offered when I pick it up tomorow is them holding the door to get me the F- out.
He DIDN'T sound happy i had a friend tell him what he was doing wrong.

Have them update the ECM programming. There is an update for EGR motor fast cleaning. Plates are not necessary with EGR shut off unless you are going racing. Any respectable stock transmission code will not "blow open" the EGR valve.

Thanks guys, and I'm not racing so I should be alright just electrically doing it!

I just got the truck back, it seems to run a bit better.

I paid for only the inspection and my deductible for my xtended warranty ONLY - I'm PSYCHED!!

He was NOT happy and I do NOT care, I will never go there again... Come to find out, the guy that couldnt figure out that it wasn't under warranty isn't only my service writer but THE SERVICE MANAGER!!!!!

So needless to say, I'm bound for the Chevy dealer next time I need something.

In fairness to the Dealer Svc Mgr the GM warranty policy on this emissions stuff os a convoluted mess. IIRC the warranty documentation says it is not, but the service procedure does. I'd hate to have to hunt around to find contradictory info myself...

These read bottom to top of each group. This particular one is for an Express van so the surge will not apply and the numbers will be off, but the jist is the same:

Engine Operation:
12632642 59A39465 P0403 EGR Motor Fast Cleaning
12623397 922A82A7 Addresses vehicle surge complaint between 51-54 mph at altitudes at or above 1500 feet.
12616705 73DE7A20 EGR Cycling in coast down and key off modes
12615974 6D23888E Addresses P0403
12610685 EAFCA209 Improves detection of DTCs P0090, P0116, P0181, P0201-P0208, P2149-P2152, P0606.
12606161 3EFD68D8 New calibration to reduce potential for setting DTC P2610 when battery is connected.
12604226 737618E9 New calibration to improve generic scan tool operation
12604454 0454DCA3 New calibration for start of production
12603628 8129DA78 Engine Operation

Engine:
12632722 58B4E2BC P0403 EGR Motor Fast Cleaning
12616789 8773BF7A P0606 DTC Robustness Improvements
12615996 F0DC6FD8 Turns off DTC P0230, DTC Robustness Improvements for P0401, P0403, P003A, P2146, P2149, P2152, P2155.
12610690 6EBEE732 Improves detection of DTCs P0090, P0116, P0181, P0201-P0208, P2149-P2152, P0606.
12606175 124912F1 New calibration to reduce potential for setting DTC P2610 when battery is connected.
12604240 7CFBD99C New calibration to improve generic scan tool operation
12604468 6B068D9C New calibration for start of production
12603642 D565922C Engine calibration

Glad you got it fixed Jason. Go where you get that good feeling, especially for extended warranty work. The times I've had the dealer do any work outside of the 3/36 were at the local GMC dealer. Much nicer, more thorough people than the Chevy dealer right across the street.

My EGR motor still functions, it's just not attached to the valve anymore ;)

Back