• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

07 Chev 6.6L Duramax

07 6.6 Duramax - how much tranny fluid and what kind?

• transmission

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • fluid

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Judy

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 07 Chevy Express 3500 with 6.6 Duramax. It was rough shifting, checked and fluid was low. Took it for tranny service, receipt shows info from old vehicle. Need to know how much tranny fluid is needed for this vehicle, and what kind.

I think the vans had a 4L80 transmission. Dex 3 would be a guess but IDK what quantity

Welcome to TTS! :D

According to Amsoil's database it likely has the 4L80E/85E which takes 13.5 quarts. If for some reason it has the 4L60E, it takes 11.2 quarts. My vote is that it has the 80/85E.

For absolute confidence, consider pulling the owner's manual from GM: https://my.chevrolet.com/home

Registration with GM is free and only need the VIN to get the manual.

The "full fill" is 13.5 quarts, but that includes the torque converter, cooler and lines, etc. You only actually drain about 8 quarts when you drop the pan and replace the filter. Get 2 gallons and 1 extra quart and you should be fine. Dexron VI (6) is the proper fill for a 2007 4L80E.

It has a 4L85E, the strongest 4 speed auto GM ever put in a light duty pickup. Pretty sure it has a deep pan in that one. A typical drain and refill with new filter I would expect to be in the 8 quart vicinity, but how long you let it sit with the pan off and filter out can change that. If you let it sit for a long time with the pan off and filter out, they can drain back fluid out of the pump and torque converter. DEX VI was factory fill at that time, but not my personal choice for a good ATF.

Back