• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'06 GMC manual transmission!?

treegump

Romans 3:22-24
Reaction score
I thought, when looking for my current truck, someone told me that GM's last year for manual transmissions was '05? Found this while looking for a gas truck and was surprised. Do you think it'd be worth it?

06 was the last year of the manual trans as far as I know, but not many 06's came with a manual. Now if you find an 06 DURAMAX with a manual, you have a RARITY.

My factory set of shop manuals for the 2007 Classic has the manual transmission overhaul info and has data for when it's used with the LBZ Duramax. Might have been a hold-over from the 06 manuals but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some out there, like special orders for the railroads or something like that. Seems every time I think I have this stuff sorted out someone drives up with one that isn't supposed to exist.

Here is the way I have it:
6.0L gas with the NV4500 went all the way to 2007 Classic.
8.1L BBC with the ZF6 went to at least a full 06 run, and maybe an 07 classic.
6.6L Duramax with the ZF6 went from 01 to 06. the 06 was a LBZ mechanically with a LLY horsepower level.

amazingly, I have found a few 06 D-max ZF6s, but alas, I am too broke to buy one. :)

personally, I would prefer a 01-04 LB7 or a 06 LLY if I was to buy a ZF6 duramax, main appeal being the 06 is a LBZ, and the LB7 has no emissions BS.

also, fun fact, you can still buy a manual trans GM pickup...but it has to be in mexico, and the only one available is the "Silverado 3500" chassis cab with the 6.0L vortec. the trans is a Tremec, and after looking over the website, I am assuming the trans is the TR4050.

truck page: http://www.chevrolet.com.mx/silverado-3500.html
Tremec page: http://www.tremec.com/menu.php?m=138

look at the 6 speed they offer. available as a double OD. I am sure they offer a chevy bellhousing, it would sure be cool to get a double OD 6 speed in your pickup. unfortunately the double OD cant take too much grunt.

amazingly, I have found a few 06 D-max ZF6s, but alas, I am too broke to buy one. :)

That is probably a good thing seeing as parts for the GM ZF-6 are reportedly getting hard to find, so you might have to do a conversion down the road ;)

I like the thought of the Tremec as well. That 6 speed looks like it puts a 6.5 with 3.73's in a good RPM range for cruising on 70+ mph highways.

the double OD cant take too much grunt.

The double overdrive is only for cruising speeds, right? Or am I misunderstanding the purpose of an overdrive? So, if you're pulling any kind of load, just be safe and leave it in 5th, right? Just curious..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I can pull stock trailers w/ 2 horses in 6th. Temps can rise quick and I run out of fuel for lugging w/o a lift pump.

source unknown

Just took a look at the ad in the original post and the tranny looks more like an A/T with a manual T/C unless GM did a '5 on the tree' in 06 . . .

Back