• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

04 silverado

Chevlove

Reaction score
I effin did it this time last I posted on here I was looking for the frame specs for my 96 c1500 to start a project of a totaled mess that my wife brought home one night... the insurance company gave me a nice chunk of change though being as it was the opposing drivers fault and I don't have time for another project right now so I bought an 04 silverado with a 5.3 and a lot of nice mods including off road suspension, a 4:10 Dana posi, a spectre cold air intake, a six speed auto trans and my least favorite but can sell to make a few bucks a cap. The first catastrophe was the brake booster for the trailer assist module was completely blown, it was creating a vaccum leak in the truck idk how the guy I bought it from made it ok for the time being but I just bypassed it right into the booster that problem is fixed. The jerk also used compression fittings on the lines I guess because of lack of a flaring tool so I can't get it inspected until I put the right unions on. Also any idea of what I can do to fix this next problem?... I went to change the oil and the amount of sludge that came out of the pan was unbelievable I still changed the oil as regular but I know when I go to change it again (probably in a couple weeks) it's still going to be all sludge. Is there anything else I can dump in there with the oil to help the sludge all come out? When I do the unions I am going to have to replace a caliber cuz the bleeder is stripped on the rear passenger side. The tin housings for the plugs were fused to the block, the pcv valve is done but I am going to wait until the sludge is gone to replace that, also the tach doesn't work which I am going to fix myself not send into chevy like the guy suggested but i don't know if I am running hot or not and the hoses running from the overflow get depressed from time to time which to me sounds like the thermostat gets stuck open or maybe the pcv anyone have any idea on that? Something is loose in the drive shaft gotta figure that out and replace and also a regular tune up checklist, fuel filter, air filter, etc. One more question the abs and parking brake light are constantly on and not throwing any codes any idea why that's happening? Thanks to anyone who actually reads all this and responds just needed to yell about the project I bought because I didn't have time for a project [emoji35] and ask a few questions from the knowledgeable truck stop crew.

Put some ATF or seafoam in the oil to cut the sludge. I have a hard time believing the ABS light is on and not showing codes. Do you have the appropriate scanner?

Check the filler cap on the coolant tank. If it's plugged hoses can collapse. Abs sensors are probably corroded at the wheels

X2 on atf for the oil, Just watch the oil pressure.

If the oil is that bad, the coolant will be too. Flush the system and get a new cap. Then test the system.

When you do the brakes line repair, flush the system at all 4 wheels. Start out with all new fluid. After those repairs, then look into codes. When something is acting goofy and you know of problems, fix those first.

Put some ATF or seafoam in the oil to cut the sludge. I have a hard time believing the ABS light is on and not showing codes. Do you have the appropriate scanner?

Of course I didn't have the appropriate scanner, found one though and it's reading at the module. Also this year came with the back up vacuum pump that was faulty when I first bought the truck so I trashed it and just bought a new one. What's crazy is that with the new one installed it looks like the master cylinder is breathing when I hit the brakes. All in all it is a great truck just little things that need maintained. I just wanna thank all you guys for your help and kindness I have a passat too which for real those engines are like a foreign language I have been trying to diagnose the same problem for a month now doing everything I would think it is I belong to a vw forum for that and the people on that forum are so stuck up I have found one person that is actually willing to give advice. The truck stop is way better thanks!

Back