• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'04 or '05 GEP Engine questions

daustin

Reaction score
Hi there guys,
I recently got a GEP engine, i tore it down to have a look before installing it in my '93 Dually. The bearings look mint, cylinder walls still have the crosshatch and heads look nearly new. The piston tops looked new when i wiped them down with a little wd40 and a paper towel, it couldn't have been ran much at all. I used the home-brew method of checking for cracks diesel fuel, lol. Thing was clean clean inside. Only thing i found was the rear oil pan gasket was pushed in and might have leaked. Aside from new head bolts and gaskets, what else should i look at or consider replacing? Rear main seal? Also are the torque specs for the mains & heads the same as the '97 models? The outer main bolts in my FSM say something like 110lbs, same as the inner bolts and the outers are much smaller. THanks for the input, much appreciated.
Don

If the engine has set for any length of time without running, I would replace the seals on the valve stems and the front and rear crank seals. And I believe the 00+ use a different torque for the outer bolts as they are smaller than the early 506 blocks outer bolts. Call PENINSULAR and I'm sure they can give you the torque specs.

Good info, I had intended to replace those crankshaft and balancer seals, but didn't think about the valve stems. Also in the torque-spec area here, tjhey have the main bolts i was concerned about at 30lbs - which sounds a lot more reasonable.
Thanks
Don

Slap in some studs and gaskets/seals and run that puppy. Might get a fluidampr and a girdle, if you got the coin to spare.

The cleanliness of the engine is probley from burning JP-8(less soot, cleaner, but drier) enstead of diesel.

Check the IP #'s, see what plunger size it is, I cant remember if the 160hp-na engines used the same pump as the 190hp-td did. If its the big plunger pump, crank it up all the way before you put your 12v cover on top. I think the throttle shaft is different from your 93, so you'll need a different TPS or swap shafts.

That sounds like good advice, i just had to tear it apart and have a look. The IP i haven't really looked at yet, i've been working out of town but will be back this weekend if i don't have too many "honey-do's" i'll get on it asap. I'll re-assemble it with either studs or new head bolts, gaskets and get her ready to swap out for my tired 599 long block. Thanks everyone for the info and help. I'll repost with some pics hopefully this weekend. The guy had 4 or 5 more of these, PM if interested and i'll get ya the info, he's in south GA.
Don

Last edited:
Back