• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

04 dmax LB7-fuel filter housing

K.Rogers

Reaction score
What's up guys, new to the forum and looks like alot of good info here.

Went to start my truck Wednesday morning, coldest day yet in n Florida, and it ran for about a min then died. Tried priming, only to get fuel come out of the filter housing around the primer pump.
Quick call to the the dealer and I had a new one on the way ($170) Get it home and the fuel line hookups are pointed down at 45*. Original part these hookups are parallel w the top of the filter. I call the dealer this morning and tell him the parts wrong, fits the LLY. The one that fits my LB7 they have, it's $668?!?!. The only difference I could tell was the filter was diff length and the fuel lines in the housing are at different angles.

Frustrated, I call a local diesel injector shop. My thought was the housing I have could be rebuilt. So luckily I call him before I buy the correct new part, he rebuilds it in 2 hours for $180. I get a refund for my wrong part. And I get to learn a little more about this engine by removing/reinstalling myself.

Moral of the story, a fuel filter housing for a LB7 duramax can be rebuilt!

Sorry if it's a lame first post, just thought I'd add my learning experience.

Welcome to The Truck Stop!
Yep There are several places to buy the filter head rebuild kit. I just did mine a few weeks ago. Glad you didn't wind up spending a ton of money on it.

Sent from my SCH-I535

GM Published a bulletin on the fuel lines, too. Bulletin is #PIP4526 (search this site with #PIP4526). GM told me that the leaking fuel heads is caused by degradation of the seals from additives that fuel vendors blend into the diesel. Same thing the GM bulletin says causes the fuel lines to soften. If your fuel head leaked it would probably be good insurance to at least do the two lines at the fuel filter. I had to change the lines on mine this summer because they had softened and it had to have been a problem for awhile since the truck seemed to have a lot more power after changing them.

I'll check that bulletin out.

One thing I've noticed, some stations have a "May contain up to 5% biodiesel" sticker at the pump. The mechanic that changed my injectors 3 months ago, same one mentioned in my first post, says to stay away from that. So I do. Bit I wouldn't doubt that may play into some of the problems I have had.

One more ?, as mentioned I have recently replaced the injectors on my LB7, boy that wasn't cheap, it was suggested to me it put an auxiliary fuel filter between the tank and existing filter? Is this a good idea? Will that help they're injectors last longer? Any other tips to make them last?

Thanks again guys.

Replacing the lines at the filter head seems like it might be worth looking into since rebuilding my filter head didn't exactly solve all of the issues I have with that area.
Bio is generally considered to be good lubricity and I've been running B5-B11 since the truck was new with no issues at all. Turned up 238k 2 days ago...
As to an auxilliary filter, many guys run those and some along with a lift pump/filter setup.I want to do that but right now that money looks exactly like a new set of rear tires on my loader tractor...;)
LB7 injectors are an issue all to themselves.

I'll check that bulletin out.

One thing I've noticed, some stations have a "May contain up to 5% biodiesel" sticker at the pump. The mechanic that changed my injectors 3 months ago, same one mentioned in my first post, says to stay away from that. So I do. Bit I wouldn't doubt that may play into some of the problems I have had.

One more ?, as mentioned I have recently replaced the injectors on my LB7, boy that wasn't cheap, it was suggested to me it put an auxiliary fuel filter between the tank and existing filter? Is this a good idea? Will that help they're injectors last longer? Any other tips to make them last?

Thanks again guys.

I have a FASS Titanium system sitting in the shop that I just ordered. I did a lot of research on the injector problems and then stopped by the fuel injection shop that I've used for years and talked to them, looked at some pumps and injectors and so on. Several of the injection pumps were full of soot, which is common on pumps that are pulling air somewhere between the tank and the pump. Real common in hydraulic systems, too. A pump has a fuel source and compression and all you need to make a little diesel engine is air, hence the soot. They showed me a bunch of injectors that had aerated fuel going through them too. Seems to be a pretty common issue. That made a believer out of me that I needed to provide positive pressure to the injection pump so that I'm not pulling in air. Then I looked up the specifications of the stock fuel filter and compared it to Bosch's recommendations. Bosch wants better filtration than what comes on our trucks so that's another no-brainer. I'm leaving the stock setup on mine (filter delete kits are available) and will mount the FASS on the frame back near the tank, which is what FASS recommends (much better to push fuel than to pull it). There are a couple of other pump and filter kits and it was a tough decision which to buy. My FI shop sells several and said the FASS seems to be the most reliable from what they've seen, though they also said the others have upgraded their pumps and pump motors and are probably all pretty much equal now - just no experience on the upgraded ones yet to be able to say. The only thing I'm on the fence about is whether to drop the tank and do the fuel pickup upgrade. I'll install the pump this week and hold off on the fuel pickup until I have room inside my shop (too many projects...). Probably should take pictures doing the install, though FASS has good ones on their website.

Yep, the 01-04 LB7 uses a different filter housing than the 04.5+ trucks do. The filter head rebuild kit can be bought for less than $50 after shipping from quite a few stores online, and it isn't a hard job to do. unless you find yourself in my situation when mine went out. I was leaving in 4 hours for Jersey with a leaking filter head, so I bought a LLY filter head for $110 from GM(I get dealer trade pricing), brought it home, tore it down, and swapped the seals from it into mine. It wasn't the cheapest way, but it was the only way to get on the road in the time frame I needed to be.

I'm thinking maybe it's a good idea to now add an additional filter like mentioned above. Also replace the fuel lines. Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate your time posting. I'm hoping a few minor preventative items will help my truck in her old age. Just rolled 230k miles, I think she's got another 100 in her?!?

Back