• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

‘94 Transfer Case

Running into a slight glitch here. As previously noted, the connecting yokes and front drive shafts are different between the ‘94 (top) and the ‘95 (bottom):
IMG_3925.jpeg

There’s another difference. The front output shaft on the ‘94 is longer than the ‘95:
IMG_3927.jpegIMG_3926.jpeg

I could just swap the output shafts between the transfer cases….but I ain’t going there. So I’m hopping onto the computer to search the pick-a-part bone yards for a ‘95 and later K2500 Suburban to harvest a front driveshaft from.

Back from the boneyard with my driveshaft. They had a ‘96 and ‘99 K2500 out in Hesperia. A quick look at the ‘99 and the yoke on the transfer case has a boot behind, so it different. The yoke on the ‘96 was the same and I harvested the driveshaft from it. It also had a skid plate under the front differential and my ‘99 does not, so I took that too.

IMG_3930.jpeg

If you are into pm… When I did my transfer case I took both shafts to a local driveshaft shop (Adam’s Driveline - shameless plug) and had them do all the ujoints and balance both.
The price they get ujoints for buying in bulk, the labor of installing them meanst my cost is as only $20 more- pay $20 to install ALL my ujojnts - heck yeah! Then balance was minimal amount. Smoothed out the ride a lot. It’s amazing how bad factory drivelines are out.

Being balanced isn’t just the better ride- it keeps the seals and bearings alive longer.
Unless you enjoy setting up new differential bearings… I wouldn’t want to take away your fun!

Thought about it, went back out and checked and I did not have the linkage bar on the flats of the shift shaft.

Pic of the flats on the shift shaft of the ‘94 transfer case:

IMG_3935.jpeg

Test drove in the backyard and I now can shift it into all gears. I’m just tired.

Did clean up and put away the ‘94 transfer case and drive shaft for a future date.

IMG_3932.jpeg
IMG_3933.jpeg

I will do this Toyota transfer case job down in SoCal after we drive it down in July. Then my wife flies to Texas to visit friend with declining mental acuity and the issues that go with that. So while she’s gone, I have a weekend to do this job.

I will do this Toyota transfer case job down in SoCal after we drive it down in July. Then my wife flies to Texas to visit friend with declining mental acuity and the issues that go with that. So while she’s gone, I have a weekend to do this job.
I’ve seen your handy work- you need something to do, my wife has a list of house projects…haha

I’ve seen your handy work- you need something to do, my wife has a list of house projects…haha
I have no shortage of projects. We just got a bid from a contractor on the Montana home: 2nd garage, kitchen (appliances already bought and stored in the house), about 1,100 sf of wood flooring and 1,000 sf of tile flooring. Bid was over $500K. Tile portion alone was $82K. I looked at April and said “you have now become the general contractor.” We are working on our subs from the insurance claim on the water damage. Have concrete, framers, electrician, plumber, custom cabinetry, flooring (tile and wood), roofer all identified and will work on bids.

I have no shortage of projects. We just got a bid from a contractor on the Montana home: 2nd garage, kitchen (appliances already bought and stored in the house), about 1,100 sf of wood flooring and 1,000 sf of tile flooring. Bid was over $500K. Tile portion alone was $82K. I looked at April and said “you have now become the general contractor.” We are working on our subs from the insurance claim on the water damage. Have concrete, framers, electrician, plumber, custom cabinetry, flooring (tile and wood), roofer all identified and will work on bids.
The bid we got for our house was $300,000. And it's a little house. I'm trying to get healthy enough to do it solo. But I really don't see that happening. Waffling on just having an auction and walking away

The bid we got for our house was $300,000. And it's a little house. I'm trying to get healthy enough to do it solo. But I really don't see that happening. Waffling on just having an auction and walking away
Friend up here in MT said another Californian who just moved up here got a bid for similar amount of work and it was $550K. Noticed that people would take forever to return his calls on his cell with a 909 area code, so he bought a burner phone with a 406 area code for Montana and things started to change. Contractors started to return his calls and bud prices started to come in more reasonable.

Back