• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

‘94 Transfer Case

Big T

Reaction score
Got under the ‘94 Suburban to check for leaks. Found the drain plug loose on the front differential. Tightened that up and topped off the diff with about 8 oz of oil.

Checked transmission fluid and it’s not only full, but also very clear/clean.

Went under it to take some pics of the leak plumes, which are not all bad. Save for one plug under the front, it’s mostly dry:

58151770-E46F-4E26-AB1F-94A78006260F.jpeg

4A782721-1C5D-4D4F-A7FE-13482FE6D097.jpeg401B4445-3FAC-46B2-B527-708044A4633D.jpeg043AD0F1-71D7-4162-8FEE-D3CF22892AF8.jpeg

It doesn't look like you have taken the fill plug out in awhile to check the level or condition of it's oil. Have a drain pan under it in case it's overfull. The seal between the transmission and the transfer case gives up and fills the transfer case up.

Depending on how fast it's leaking you may have low transmission fluid shortly after removing the excess oil. It may quit moving low transmission oil level.

I would check the bolts are tight to the transmission from the transfer case.

I pulled the upper fill plug tonight and……it was over full such that it dumped a heavy enough flow that it got into my hair :-(

So I have a leaking seal. Need to get a view of the tag on it to confirm the model. I will order up gasket, plus the seals for each driveshaft. This won’t get done until I’m back down from Montana in February.

Might check your adapter for cracks and/or wallored out mounting holes. I had that between my 4l80e and 246 autotrac that had a leaking trans/transfer case seal.
I will when I pull the transfer case.

Again, this will be addressed in February. Not a primary driver, so we have the luxury of parking it. Told him to park it in front of the garage at my place to make it looked lived in.

I have a NP 241-C from a '95 K2500 Diesel Suburban in working condition, about 185K miles on it. Need to verify the transfer case model in the '94. If the transfer case in the '95 will work in the '94, I would like to do a rebuild refresher on it first and just swap it in. Which kit do I buy and where do I buy it from? Would like verified USA parts. Does this kit meet those standards:

I also just posted a transfer case out of a wrecked 1996 K1500 gasser in for sale section. Along with a bunch of other stuff.
Shipping would probably suck.
No idea what the transfer case is worth. But it needs to go.

I also just posted a transfer case out of a wrecked 1996 K1500 gasser in for sale section. Along with a bunch of other stuff.
Shipping would probably suck.
No idea what the transfer case is worth. But it needs to go.

Seen guys getting $200 for them. Post it up on a Jeep forum as they like them for conversions. Or post up on eBay.

Thanks. That gives us a start

I'd just as soon sell the whole pile to somebody and let them deal with it.

There were NP 241s with 27 splines and 32 splines on the shaft. I think the 1500s had the 27 splines, while the 2500 and 3500 had 32 splines. Be nice if you could check.

Back