• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vegetable Gardens

Thanks to a friend doing everything, we got the garden plots tilled and partially planted. About 180' yards x 4 rows of the yellow and white/ Peaches and cream type sweet corn.

We were late getting the tomatoes started in the basement. They can go in the garden anytime.

Got some carrots, radishes, beets and some other stuff going.
I wasn't much help other than supplying the tiller and some tools. My wife's kept the plants under the grow lights going.

Any ideas on getting Hazelnuts to germinate? We've had zero success on about 25 seeds. Some husked, some not. Some soaked, some planted dry. All planted in potting soil under the grow lights.

I had them in the freezer for 2 weeks before planting them in pots and putting them under the grow lights for over a month.
I know nothing about hazel nuts. I did do a study on cedar berries.
Seems the berries the birds eat, gets scattered about then a new tree starts. The cedar berries has to be acid bathed before they will germinate.
Pine cones has to be treated with heat before the seeds is released and can germinate.
Is there some such process with hazel nuts ?

I just found this on propagating hazelnuts

It looks like freezing them maybe wasn't the best route as the file suggests the fridge. How were the nuts stored in the freezer? If just in a bag the freezer may have dried them out too much. Cold air is really dry and can dessicate things.

I'd put the hazels in moist soil in a sealed container in the fridge for a few weeks and see if they start germinating in the fridge, or shortly after pulling out. If the seed dried out too much you may need to get more to start over.

I just got some Henryi Hybrid chesntut/ chinkapin seeds in the mail I'm going to start by soaking and then in pots. I'm going to check with the source of the seeds but I imagine they were already cold stratified. I haven't grown many tree nuts but am hoping to do more in the coming years.

I have some maple seed that I might get started.
I know nothing about how to get them to germinate. One year I had ash and maybe some maple trees sprouting all over in the yard. It was during a very rainey season that they were shooting up.
I’ll do some discovery work first.

I know nothing about hazel nuts. I did do a study on cedar berries.
Seems the berries the birds eat, gets scattered about then a new tree starts. The cedar berries has to be acid bathed before they will germinate.
Pine cones has to be treated with heat before the seeds is released and can germinate.
Is there some such process with hazel nuts ?
Not that we found. We both read up on it. Some say to just plop them in the ground.
They do have to go through the freeze thaw thing.

I thought 2 weeks at -20F would cover that.

Some say to she'll them. Some say to soak them.
We tried some in every combination of that.

I be didn't look up if they need to pass the float by test.

The ones that got soaked for 2 weeks passed the float test, if there's such a thing for Hazelnuts

We haven't even started planting yet. Weather is still to finicky... Possible frost 2 nights this week..were really heavily considering selling the house just because we want more land.. partial because of stuff like @SnowDrift posted.. I really don't trust the food from the stores anymore.. and we don't have enough area to plant a large garden..
Were going to do corn green beans beans and squash together (three sisters method) this year, tomatoes and various peppers together with carrots and onions planted under them.. also doing potatoes, peas, maybe beets.. trying to co-plant as much as possible to maximize space .we can only plant in raised beds here because 1) water table is seriously high here so ground is wet alot. And 2) there's A LOT of black walnut trees around us.. we've taken down the ones that were on or over hanging out land, but the poison from them is still in the ground and it kills basically everything..on the plus side, I have a new job at Lowe's ( not happy about it) .. just waiting for background check to come back.. (my last charge was in 2010 so hopefully they don't go back that far.).
At least working there I'll get discounts on stuff and first dibs on mark down stuff so hopefully I can build more box's and get all the bags of dirt that got ripped in shipping..
Really hoping the growing year is better than last year.

I got this flame weeder back in 2016, longer handle than the one you linked. Back then it was only $57, damn inflation

If birds are a problem best to use row cover/ bird netting/ insect netting as a physical barrier. I've sprinkled cayenne pepper on plants in the past that rodents were bothering, but never had an issue with birds.

To make your own spray mix up cayenne powder with water and a little dish soap. The soap helps it stick to the leaves. Spray in morning or evening though, as the soap can act like an oil and burn the leaves in midday sun while it's still wet.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I got this flame weeder back in 2016, longer handle than the one you linked. Back then it was only $57, damn inflation

If birds are a problem best to use row cover/ bird netting/ insect netting as a physical barrier. I've sprinkled cayenne pepper on plants in the past that rodents were bothering, but never had an issue with birds.

To make your own spray mix up cayenne powder with water and a little dish soap. The soap helps it stick to the leaves. Spray in morning or evening though, as the soap can act like an oil and burn the leaves in midday sun while it's still wet.
We just don't have any hot peppers around here right now.

How long is the handle on the weed burner you linked?

I didn't see the specifics

I thought about weed burners, but ironically am trying to limit use of petro.

For mass weeding, I go with pump sprayer and found that ~30% bleach / ~70% water mix is a good substitute for Roundup as it will kill most stuff. Can get highly surgical with the sprayer as well. Ok, sure, it is not instant death for the weeds or instant destruction of the stems, but I have time.

Toward the video, sure is slick, but I simply don't bite on that type of bait. Besides, it actually did not provide anything other than push a question wrapped in a shock style video. Just say-in. Put another way, if humans were meant to fly, we'd have wings. Right? Although, home grown crops usually taste better than the mass produced stuff, along with providing satisfaction and pride of making food at home. So that to me is the best reason for home grown, and not any social media bluster.

I saw the cayenne powder later. That we can buy.
We're used to using our own peppers and making some hot pepper soup.
https://www.google.com/search?q=gho...oid-tcl-rvo2b&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

For mass weeding, I go with pump sprayer and found that ~30% bleach / ~70% water mix is a good substitute for Roundup as it will kill most stuff. Can get highly surgical with the sprayer as well. Ok, sure, it is not instant death for the weeds or instant destruction of the stems, but I have time.

Toward the video, sure is slick, but I simply don't bite on that type of bait. Besides, it actually did not provide anything other than push a question wrapped in a shock style video. Just say-in. Put another way, if humans were meant to fly, we'd have wings. Right? Although, home grown crops usually taste better than the mass produced stuff, along with providing satisfaction and pride of making food at home. So that to me is the best reason for home grown, and not any social media bluster.
What video?

Our thing is, what we make, can't be bought. Or we would.

We eat really well. LOL.

Does the bleach affect the soil in the long run?

Last edited:

I gallon of vinegar. I cup of salt, a tablespoon or two of detergent.
Mix thoroughly, pour into the weed sprayer.
Watch them critters die. The weeds that is.
That mix will kill the toughest most stubborn weeds known to man.

I gallon of vinegar. I cup of salt, a tablespoon or two of detergent.
Mix thoroughly, pour into the weed sprayer.
Watch them critters die. The weeds that is.
That mix will kill the toughest most stubborn weeds known to man.
How long before you can grow stuff there on purpose?
I have weeds I wanna kill- but later want to do plants there for food.

you can get 10% concentrated vinegar from home depot, I think the name is "green gobbler", using just that will kill weeds without any real long term effects. Vineyards out here use it as an organic alternative to the cancer that is glyphosate/ roundup

I wouldn't go the salt and vinegar route if wanting to grow there later. Salting the earth will have long term effects. Great for fence lines or around a house. I have a large patch of poison ivy near my woods that will be getting the salt and vinegar treatment, but I won't be growing food there.

In case folks didn't already know- NEVER flame weed poison ivy/ oak and the like. The skin irritants are in a naturally occurring oil in the plant and are not destroyed by heat but rather are evaporated and can still be dangerous, especially if the smoke is inhaled, you can get poison ivy in your lungs.

How long before you can grow stuff there on purpose?
I have weeds I wanna kill- but later want to do plants there for food.
The salt is bad for soil. Not sure how bad by the quantity.

I read this morning that you're best off to use straight vinegar. Not to even use the soap. That information was straight off the internet, so it has to be correct.

Dieselamateur's link lead me to
The manufacturer's website. I called, got advice on what to order, spent more than I intended and got the $209 unit.

https://flameengineering.com/collections/heavydutytorches/products/v330svc

you can get 10% concentrated vinegar from home depot, I think the name is "green gobbler", using just that will kill weeds without any real long term effects. Vineyards out here use it as an organic alternative to the cancer that is glyphosate/ roundup

I wouldn't go the salt and vinegar route if wanting to grow there later. Salting the earth will have long term effects. Great for fence lines or around a house. I have a large patch of poison ivy near my woods that will be getting the salt and vinegar treatment, but I won't be growing food there.

In case folks didn't already know- NEVER flame weed poison ivy/ oak and the like. The skin irritants are in a naturally occurring oil in the plant and are not destroyed by heat but rather are evaporated and can still be dangerous, especially if the smoke is inhaled, you can get poison ivy in your lungs.
I know people that had that happen on bigger burns where they weren't specifically burning the poison, but it was there.

I used to be very susceptible to the poisons, but I haven't had any in some years.

Maybe I'm Just that much more careful. Or just lucky.

Back