• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Project Frankensquare

Yeah, it was an idea to eliminate the creak/squeak of the leaves as they flexed to improve the ride experience and quiet the interior of a "noisey, rattley, creaky" truck. It worked - right up until the nylon buttons wore away and you had metal leaf on metal leaf squeaking, creaking and screetching away like before, but it was out of warranty by then so Corporate didn't care!

I may be wrong, but I would think that even after the paint is dry. when you sandwich the pack together they will stick and cling to each other causing the pack to have no give in it until.... it lets go under a load and down down the arse goes.

it will make for a hard stiff ride and even then once it breaks free they will stick again possibly in the low position.

If I had to guess, a feller could clean them up good and use a dry graphite film to help them slide

This weekend I got the rear axle and its hardware painted. Unfortunately I made a mistake while painting...... I had the first coat of paint done before 8:00 yesterday, so I was expecting to be able to do the second coat around 12-12:30 or so. Unfortunately I had to wait until almost 3:00 because it hadn't dried sufficiently - really strange. After the second coat I cranked the thermostat up from 75-80 to help the drying process. That helped a little, but the paint was still probably not ready to cover at 8:00 when I came back out to do the third coat. I went to find the top coat and I couldn't find it. I know I bought enough. Then I looked up on the bench and found the top coat....... I had been painting with it all day!! Well at that point I decided to just do a third coat and call this an experiment. There was definitely some rust on the axle that I painted over - I had pre-treated it as the directions said to, but without the Rust Seal coats I'm not sure how well it's going to keep it from coming back.............I guess I'll be finding out.

Even though I put the third coat on a touch early, the paint turned out nice, so that's good.

axle painted.jpg

I ran out of time last week to get the gears fully set up, so I'll be starting on that this evening and then reinstall the axle after that.

Preachin' to the choir, Nate, when it comes to spring and house projects and all the things to be done for the summer - yard equipment prep, checking/cleaning the home A/C, swapping from snow tires to regular tires on the vehicles, making sure the gutters and downspouts are good to go for the summer rains, garden prep . . .

Back