• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Compounds

The 14cm housing is just a little to small for the 6.5 if you work it hard. And the 16cm is a little laggy with the factory open exhaust system. If you built a divided exhaust setup it would increase spool time on the 16cm, and lower EGTs as well. Probably be the same amount of work as a compound setup. A divided system could be side mounted, or buy van manifolds and build a center mount.

My sxe362 shipped a few days ago. Im hoping a divided system will spool it with a .83T4 nicely. 🤘🤘

That's what I found out about the 14cm2. Haven't tried a 16cm2 but I have tried a 18cm2. It towed good once it got spooled up but with a manual it was just unenjoyable to drive. I was really hoping I could figure out which turbos would work out for what I'm doing. I don't think it's going to be much of a problem getting them mounted the way that I want to do it. Unique Diesel already has some pictures posted of some mounted the way I want to do it. Sadly he has never had a chance to finish the project to see how it works.

Have you tried running something other than the factory twin scroll housing? Switching to a .70 or .80 t3 open might help get you EGTs down, and have good response. The .70 would be a good fit since your running a manual.

Last edited:
Have you tried running something other than the factory twin scroll housing? Switching to a .70 or .80 t3 open might help get you EGTs down, and have good response. The .70 would be a good fit since your running a manual.

I'm open to any suggestions. Where would you find something like that?

I pulled 6.4L PowerStroke compounds for my P400 project. Steed Dolan’s Banshee VGT controller is compatible with the Ford VGT servos after a firmware update, and you can get an aftermarket servo that doesn’t need liquid cooling.
Not sure why more people aren’t considering this option. Ford’s compounds were sized by P. Eng’s to efficiently fit a close power band (~350hp) and displacement (6.4L) to what a built injection pump on a studded 18:1 6.5L can do.

Last edited:
I pulled 6.4L PowerStroke compounds for my P400 project. Steed Dolan’s Banshee VGT controller is compatible with the Ford VGT servos after a firmware update, and you can get an aftermarket servo that doesn’t need liquid cooling.
Not sure why more people aren’t considering this option. Ford’s compounds were sized by P. Eng’s to efficiently fit a close power band (~350hp) and displacement (6.4L) to what a built injection pump on a studded 18:1 6.5L can do.

It has crossed my mind to look and see what sizes those turbos are. I didn't know that they were VGT though.

Also what base timing are you running? The DB2 doesn't have a large timing curve. The pump is physically capable of 11-12* of camshaft advance. But due to the LLA armature is only sees 3-4*. Advancing your base timing will help lower EGTs and improve MPG. but it also increases cylinder pressure so be reasonable. I'm working on some parts to redesign the DB2 timing curve that should be in testing this summer.

Also what base timing are you running? The DB2 doesn't have a large timing curve. The pump is physically capable of 11-12* of camshaft advance. But due to the LLA armature is only sees 3-4*. Advancing your base timing will help lower EGTs and improve MPG. but it also increases cylinder pressure so be reasonable. I'm working on some parts to redesign the DB2 timing curve that should be in testing this summer.

I have never had a way to measure the timing. Basically just use the timing lever on the IP method. I have seen that the egt's are lower when it's more advanced. I have it backed off some right now just so the engine is a little quieter. Hopefully when I get the 18:1 engine together I'll be able to bump the timing up some.

One of the downsides to the DB2 was the lack of timing advance in the upper RPMs. Stanadyne designed the LLA to retard timing so it would limit NOx emissions. The 4911 is air timed at 1* +or- 0.5*. So in a perfect world with the timing marks aligned it has a base timing of 1*. With the LLA limiting timing advance your only seeing 4-5* total advance (8-10* at the crank) In order to get more timing in the upper RPMs base timing has to my advanced, but that defiantly makes it idle louder. Its a give and take situation and limits the pump.

Timing lights are hit or miss on a diesel. They work for the most part. But alot of times your better off doing it by ear with the LLA arm like you mentioned. I want to play around with a lab scope and see if timing can be set more accurate.

In comparison a DS4 is 1.75* base timing (3.5* at the crank) with 6-7* of advance (12-14* at the crank). so at stock calibration and tuning a DS4 will do almost 9* of total advance (18* at the crank) that's 10* more than a DB2!! With tuning it could be more.

To me a DS4 isn't worth the problems with all the sensors that can go bad. I just like mechanical things better than electronic things.

I do wish I had a better grasp on the DB2 and the timing on these engines.

I don't know if it makes any difference but my IP is actually a 5149 DB2 set to 4911 specs by Tim at Accurate Diesel. Not sure if there is any difference in the internal timing or not.

I agree about the DS4 being more of a potential problem. The only DS4 I would consider running would be the 6033, or the "beast" pump as Quadstar calls it. But its $2600 plus custom tuning!😯

All .310 pumps are basically the same internally, just calibrated differently.

I self taught myself DB2 pumps. All the info is available online if you know where to look. I've spent the last year gathering the tools to properly build them. Last step is getting my test bench up and running.

I just had a crazy thought. What if you used two of the same turbos except with different size exhaust housings in a compound setup? A tight housing on the secondary and a bigger housing on the primary.

Well the reason to run compounds for towing is to increase the air volume with the bigger turbo to lean out the air fuel ratio thus lowering EGTs. Running two of the same compressor sizes wont help with that because the CFM/ pressure ratio is the same on both turbos. so your not getting the extra air you need to lower the EGTs.

Well the reason to run compounds for towing is to increase the air volume with the bigger turbo to lean out the air fuel ratio thus lowering EGTs. Running two of the same compressor sizes wont help with that because the CFM/ pressure ratio is the same on both turbos. so your not getting the extra air you need to lower the EGTs.

That makes sense to me now. What about a HX30/HX40 combo? Wish I could get this compound thing out of my mind. But it does seem that if they were sized right it would work great. My turbo is great for towing with the 18cm2 housing but it's a smokey pig otherwise. With a smaller housing it's great for a daily driver but the egt's get out of hand. Maybe I should just wait until I get the intercooler in before I get too crazy with all this.

I'm a big fan of the 35/40 with a little different wheels. It worked great for me towing in od... but i had 18:1, cac, more fuel, etc, and i could keep egt's in check. If your set on compounds and willing to pay, 2 vgts with the banshee controller could be good...

The vgts have already crossed my mind but I'm not willing to use any electronic controls.

Looks like you built something like what I want to do. 18:1, cac, and more fuel. Basically all I want to build is a strong dependable engine the will daily drive and tow maybe a camper and make around 300hp or so.

So how was your 35/40 sized and mounted?

Back