• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Battery reviews

Twisted Steel Performance

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Reaction score
I'm in need of 2 battery's, I have given most all brands a try and they all seem to fail a bit early.

So this time I'm going with a AGM, haven't tried them yet, I searched for the best warranty and I think I stumbled across my next purchase, at first glance they are expensive, but they cary a full 60 month warranty, not prorated a full 100% replacement, and are claimed 1050cca, And they are having a 17% off sale today only, so that puts them in line cost wise with other brands I have considered, so I'm clicking the button me thinks....

https://www.batteriesplus.com/productdetails/sli78agmdp

Mine have no clearance issues but they are only 880 CCA. They're group 34/78 maybe that makes the difference

I asked the store that and he said the top post is less cca and I see the listing does say between the 2 styles the side shows more cca... may just ask google why that is...

Northstar has a really solid reputation. they are USA made, so that is what I am planning when my Hummer gets finished. If we are still allowed to drive diesels in whatever year that is ...

I have been super happy with optima, but since made in Mexico and all their workers seem to be coming here.

AGM batteries have a lower charging voltage than led acid. There is risk of over-charging them if you are using the standard voltage regulator that comes internal on most gm alternators. Might want to search for an AGM specific external regulator, or watch your voltage closely. FYI.

Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) has been used since 1986 GM "CS" called "generators" in patent documents all use a chip w/400 Hz PWM tech built into regulator which is best for AGM batteries.
Problems arise when switching to Lithium.

Last edited:
Different alternator for AGM? Umm NO.

I ran agm batteries on multiple gm (and other) including cs130 and cs144. And I am one of the guys that was getting super long life out of the optima agm batteries. My 99 3500 srw crewcab got them when I first bought it in 2000 because the Delcos were leaking and I sold it to a guy I am friends with. I added a 2,000 watt sound system, otherwise stock electrically. That charged them fine they lasted 9 years until he sold it with same batteries.

My hummer I have the story on here elsewhere that it (cs144) had optima agmast over a decade then I swapped them out and a friend that worked at the parts store where they went in as core charge took one and swapped with his boat battery and he got a few more years out if it, then put it in his pickup.

My wifes 01 suburban with 6.0 gasser uses 1 and I bought 1 for it son after we tot it- lasted idk how many years until it got totaled in wreck smashing the agm battery- which didn’t leak anything. Stock rig. Can’t remember years hut from roughly 30,000 miles to 205,000 miles.

Bought my sons dodge 1500 5.9 gasser when he was 15 but he wasn’t allowed to vet driver’s license until he graduated because of low grades. So very dead battery in 1/2018. Put a yellow top in it- and he has been driving it since then without issues even though the interior lights were left on over night once and didn’t use a 120v to charge it, no jump required. The stock old dodge alternator is doing fine for just over 3 years so far.

My Mercedes, my tool truck, my nephew’s truck, my sisters truck, All my other chevy pickups, on and on. I am the go to guy for all my family, friends, many neighbors... heck, I worked about 2 hours on my hummer this year but fixed around 6-7others so far this year. Between that and being to sore to do more- that’s a big part of why my hummer is still sitting. 4-5 times a year I get people updating me how their battery I recommend is still going strong.

I know batteries are rated in COLD cranking amps, so maybe they die faster in the cold? But factory batteries here in the land of heat, batteries lead acid last 3 years normally, less in things like my sister’s KIA. When people say they had one hit the 5 year mark people were astonished. Anyone with big sound system, a lot of extra lights, winch, or anything similar Never hit the 4 year mark. It just is what it is. That’s why when I stated seeing crazy life out if the Optima agm- I switched and never looked back. They ALL paid for themselves in the difference of cost, let alone the insurance that it will work when out in the middle of no where Death Valley in the summer or when we were atop the Sierra Nevada Mountains.

And I NEVER once messed with any stock charging system. Clean the battery cables, mount the batteries, and go. So if you guys wondered why I beat the optima drum, even after the move to Mexico- its because they still are lasting incredibly long. Since my hummer ones went in they have all been from Mexico, so if there was a bad batch from there- that issue got solved over 15 years ago unless there is more than one Mexico plant making them and the Southwest US gets them from the ‘good’ plant.

Could they last longer if a person re engineered the charging system? Maybe. But I wouldn’t bother for agm.

Lithium- yup! Electrical Engineering time. But idk why anyone would put that in anything daily drive. That’s full race car use and most race cars I played with save weight and power by not having any charging system on the car. They are better of using multiple batteries to supply enough power for the race because it’s still lighter and steals no engine power. Then they get charged on a way more accurate 120v or 240v charging system after the race. Some of the multi million dollar race trucks doing the Mint, Baja, Dakar just do quick change at the required pit stops even. All the motorcycles running those races are still using agm that I see. And thats a restrictive power to weight ratio. Maybe Nascar or LeMans it would make sense to build a custom charging system?

Believe it or not. I got the longest life oyt of my original OEM AC DELCO batteries. When they went I put in 2 new Odyssey Die Hard branded batteries. I matched them as they had just been delivered to the store. They didn't last nearly as long as AC Delcos.
I have since gone back to traditional batteries from Walmart.
The thing I noticed about my AGM batteries is once they fell off, they fell off a cliff. No bringing them back. It was like turning on a light switch. Worked, then didn't. I bought a C-Tek charger with the snow flake setting, still didn't help.

I now have to convince the boss lady I need two of them...

Last edited:
Believe it or not. I got the longest life oyt of my original OEM AC DELCO batteries. When they went I put in 2 new Optima Die Hard branded batteries. I matched them as they had just been delivered to the store. They didn't last nearly as long as AC Delcos.
I have since gone back to traditional batteries from Walmart.
The thing I noticed about my AGM batteries is once they fell off, they fell off a cliff. No bringing them back. It was like turning on a light switch. Worked, then didn't. I bought a special charger with the snow flake setting, still didn't help.
I did a thread on them a while back.
It turns out, that digital chargers will not bring back an AGM however, old tired and true non-digital units will.

Back