• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GMC 6.5 Dually

Redtruck97

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'm Wayne from Florida. New here and looking for honest info regarding my truck. 1997 GMC Dually 6.5 diesel....mileage unknown as the odo and speedo not working (like some input on that). Bought it last June, been working on it as money permits. Love the old truck but just need some help with a few things.
I found out from the local dealer it was built 1/14/1997, I want to find out if my engine is a left over 1996 or 97. The fan clutch has 4 bolts and not a thread on fan clutch like the newer models, also where can find the engine serial number to find the engine year?? I think this a cool truck and engine, I just ant to make it run very well and I have the mechanical ability once I find the info. Thanks for any help with this. I will look at the post on here and post pictures soon.

Rear of engine, passenger side, between the head and the transmission. Casting letters/numbers are

Spend a lot of time in the records here to save a ton of money and headaches.
Ask before buying parts anywhere- learn from our mistakes.

Thank you very much, I will be looking this weekend. I will asking for some help as i go along. I have been able to buy some parts from a few places online after doing some research but any advise is welcomed. I like the dang on truck and want to make it very dependable for the future, after all it's PAID FOR!! wootwoot.

Advise...A.C. DELCO electric parts only.. do not I repeat do not get AutoZone duralast or any of that crap... Half the time they're electric parts are faulty before you ever put them in the truck...extra couple bucks and get AC Delco... Also our vendors on this site are extremely reliable for parts at good prices and stand behind them..check them out.

Your truck is same year and all as mine.. except don't know if yours is a crew cab..be prepared, alot of parts for this truck have to come of a 96 for some reason..not sure why... And if you go to AutoZone or one of them make sure you tell them it is listed as "EXCEPT 15,000" ON THERE COMPUTER... It will confuse the hell out of them...

Wow, thanks for all the info. I have been buying some parts, not from autozone but online and some from the ads listed on top of this page. I have an extended cab dually, auto trans and 6.5....mine was built 1/14/1997 and I am trying to see if my engine is a left over 96 or 97 engine. My clutch fan is a 4 bolt version and some I have seen are thread on like newer models. My odometer doesn't work so I am unsure about mileage but I have serviced it, rebuilt rear brakes (drum) wish they were disc. Found some interior parts from LMC truck, Amazon, and ebay. I want to upgrade some hard parts but alittle at a time, pacing myself so I don't get carried away. My truck is in Florida, looking under it NO rust, couldn't believe it!! Rock auto has a lot of AC Delco parts and I try to get the good stuff. I am trying to see if my engine is 96 cause they say 97 had a weak problem with cracking and head problems, I am more familiar with for diesels but really like this old truck.

Thanks, I am not sure what all the items you mention yet but I will. I bought a repair manual and have tons of info that has helped me. I would like to find a good rebuildable engine and start to build my own engine and when this ones dies then I can do a total rebuild of the truck and make it nice again.

I suggest reading a ton on here and putting some time into this engine before deciding it is the best option for you. This is a good engine for certain applications. If you are going to build an engine ground up, I don’t see it being under 7k.

Has anybody used Lugnuts 4x4 weld on rear disc brake kit for a dually?? I have drum brakes and really want to upgrade to rear disc.....I can't seem to find a rear end with disc brakes for a decent price??

Hey Guys I need HELP! Gosh my truck has been running pretty good, Thursday it started doing strange things. At idle it runs good but when I add a little throttle it goes to a high rev like I have it to the floor but I only have a light touch just laying my foot on the pedal. Going down the road I had to feather the throttle to keep going at a safe speed. it's blowing some black smoke and seems like it's starving for fuel (full tank) and all this just out of the blue. I am a pretty good mechanic but I am stumped!!?? Can anyone shed light on this?? Most of my past experience has been with Ford's 7.3 and 6.0. I thought maybe the injector pump might be the issue. Any help would be great-this is my daily driver and rainy season coming to Florida soon. Thanks for the help. Oh I changed the lift pump, fuel filter and PMD.
Wayne

Back